1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering college basketball

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Angola!, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

This might seem like a dumb question, but I am used to covering high school basketball and having to keep my own stats.
    I'm in my second year covering college basketball -- NCAA Division II -- and I am wondering what are some things to keep track of or watch for during the game since I don't have to keep my own stats.
    Suggestions?

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I keep a more detailed running -- I'll try to make sure I note baskets that come off putbacks, turnovers, etc., and get really descriptive about the play.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I always keep a play-by-play sheet with a line for each score. They'll provide that, but I find it easier to find something under my system than somebody else's, plus you can note strategic changes that the SID's play-by-play sheet won't note.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I usually start looking around for ways to be more descriptive, perhaps note the time when a key sequence happens so you can ask about that particular sequence. That's usually how I do it.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

When I cover games, I write down big runs and maybe some key plays like a rebound or a block that may have an impact later in the game. Always look for a different angle.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Everybody has their own P-by-P method. I think the less writing the better. When you're writing something down, you're not watching.
    I use a system where I use the players' numbers, not their name. I keep track of each shot and possession and points using symbols. That helps me keep track of scoring runs/droughts, how many 3-pointers/shots are made/missed during a hot streak or a cold streak. I think that helps focus on the game's key moments.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

So, the general consensus is I should do play-by-play like I do for high school games even though stats are provided to me?

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

No, it's up to you. If you can remember key points in the game _ It was 44-all and then Team A went on a 12-0 run while forcing 4 turnovers _ then you don't need P-by-P. With my system, I usually only note clock time during FTs and timeouts; I let the P-by-P provided by the school take care of that. One less thing to write down.

9. VetBroMan

VetBroMan New Member

This is the best advice. For no other reason is that you'll be really in to the game. That makes writing a story a little easier later.

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i like to do play-by-play -- and as in football, i may not use it all the time, but it helps keep me involved

i pretty much track the shots -- some shorthand for what kind of shot and x for a miss, rebounds, assist if noteworthy. i keep the score and the time of the basket. it helps me keep track of runs, etc. i usually look back at time outs to see if there's anything i forgot to write down or to look for trends, etc.

i usually only do subs for the team i cover, or if there's a noteworthy person on the other team, i keep track of that. you'd be surprised how often that comes in handy

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I get there ten minutes into the game, eat half a pizza in the media room and then kick back for a nap with my feet on the press table in the second half. :D

In truth, my approach for HS is the same for college games...minus the free pizza. ;D Seriously, I keep a scoring play-by-play, because you never know when there will be a problem with the official book. Plus, I find that if I don't keep the running score, my mind tends to wonder.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

Same here. I do it all on my laptop since I can't type faster than I write and I don't need to look down at the keyboard. the extra details I usually include are where on the floor a shot was taken, or where a steal occurred, what kind of shot it was (fall-away jumper, jump hook, etc.) and anything else that might be useful.

The details might not all show up in my game story, but they might be useful in a feature story down the road.

Draft saved Draft deleted