1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coverage of Dr. Dao, the victim in United Airlines incident

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fredrick, Apr 12, 2017.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Baron take over your handle?

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's an old saying, but one I subscribe religiously to.

"10 percent of life is what happens to you. The other 90 percent is how you react to it."

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

But what about her saying he was "running around like a banshee" and being condescending like that? I mean let's see her get two teeth knocked out and not run around like a banshee. Look, customers get mad sometimes in all lines of work. You deal with them calmly and resolve the problem without bashing their skulls in. You ever deal with a mad customer? I have in many jobs.

4. BTExpress

Let's say I'm driving, and I get pulled over by a cop. I have done nothing wrong (my car just happens to match the description of a car involved in something).

Cop orders me to show license and registration.

I get angry, because "Goddammit, I've done nothing wrong!", and I refuse. Cop brings his partner over, and together they insist that I provide license and registration, and step out of the vehicle.

Again, I refuse, because "Goddammit, I've done nothing wrong!" So I motion to start the car and get out of there.

Cop forcibly stops me and pulls me from the vehicle. My face hits the steering wheel, and I lose a couple of teeth.

Who was wrong here?

Again, "10 percent of life is what happens to you. The other 90 percent is how you react to it."

When you fail the 90 percent part, that other 10 percent just gets worse and worse.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If I get two teeth knocked out, I'm probably going to sit down and be in stunned agony for a while. But that's just me.

Reminds me of the explanation of crowd control from "Reservoir Dogs"

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I don't believe this would have happened on any airline.

I flew from LGA to DFW in December when Delta hit a big problem: It happened on a Sunday in which several people on the flight had Cowboys tickets for a game later that day.

Delta's problem was twofold:

(1) Oversold by a few.

(2) Overweight. There were heavy winds in Dallas, which caused some weight requirements to kick in. They needed to unload 20 passengers.

The volunteer voucher offers started at $200 and went from there.

It was like a live auction.

They were offering vouchers, meals, hotels... first class on later flights... the works !

Customers were holding out.

Do you know that Delta went ALL THE WAY UP OVER $1,000 PER PASSENGER and retroactively gave those who had taken the offer at a lower rate the 1K.

And guess what?... Reading the laws and regs this week.... Delta didn't even HAVE to do that. When weight's the culprit, they don't have to make good.

United got caught with its pants down this week, folks.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Police officers have rights to use force that no one else does in most situations. A security guard is not a police officer.

8. BTExpress

I've seen a lot of security guards wearing guns. Methinks they have some latitude regarding this "force" thingy.

Especially when any injuries are not the result of the initial "force" but when they are the result of an accident during the application of said force.

If they clock him in the face with a billy club, not cool. If he slips and hits his head while resisting being removed from a seat he has been asked to relinquish . . . I got no issue with it.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Wasn't it uniformed airport police officers that removed Dao?

10. BTExpress

Timeline I saw said Chicago Department of Aviation security officer.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's a legal question so the real answer is "it is whatever a judge says it is," but most of the articles I've read seem to think that United's ticket policy doesn't cover the situation. It covers denying boarding, but not removal after boarding, in these situations.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I guess it varies from place to place, but isn't that just a fancy name for "airport cop"?
    Most airports have their own small police force that, I assume, has police powers and jurisdiction over the airport property. They probably write more parking tickets than anything else, but I think it's a step or two up from the rent-a-cop people are making it out to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted