1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cover the Nationals - Fredericksburg, VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=799037

Some will say this is the ideal job for me. It is not. You do not cover a team of which you are a fan. Ever. And I won't. Ever.

But this gets the big-time Moddy Seal of Five Stars. Strong, solid paper. Excellent SE in Steve DeShazo. Great and growing area (maybe growing a little too much).

I'd be on this like stink on rice. Or white on shit. Or something. I'd be on it quick. Excellent opportunity.

2. 35in44

35in44 Member

What happened to Jacobson?

3. Moderator1

Now that's a very good question.

4. boots

boots New Member

It's a great opportunity to cover MLB. No travel but will do home games.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

That is, unless Nats make playoffs. That'll happen in, oh, 2019. (Sorry, Moddy! Don't ban me!!)

Very interesting position. Didn't catch the paper when I went through Virginia, but sounds good.

6. Moderator1

If they get there by 2019, I'll be thrilled.

Another perk: I'll read your shit every day. I'm the fanboy stalker of every Nationals beat writer out there. I have a secret e-mail account so they never know it is me. I call 'em all loosers and maroons and stuff. LOL!

7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Todd took a job outside of the daily newspaper grind. He did a great job for us and will be missed.

Almost - but not quite- true.

We certainly don't go on every road trip (or even most of the road trips), but we pick our spots to travel. Todd was at the All-Star game last summer in Pittsburgh. We'll do driveable trips to Philly and New York. And if we're creative about it, we could do more.

Todd also was in Florida for three to four weeks for Spring training (two weeks when camp opens, week and a half or so at the end). He also won an APSE for the series he developed in the Dominican Republic this past December on the Nationals' efforts to develop players down there.

I'll be happy to answer questions via post, PM or my e-mail address - jrice@freelancestar.com.

-Justin Rice
    Assistant Sports Editor
    The Free Lance-Star

8. Moderator1

Outside the daily newspaper grind *** guy was good AND smart!

9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I really, really, really don't want to drag this thread into the muck, but you said ...

... was just trying to clear up your slightly inaccurate post. Carry on.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Lot of good people. Quality product, and I like their redesign. But you may want to think about commuting from Richmond, or at least its northern 'burbs. It's a haul, but housing is much cheaper.

11. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Boots' ramblings here don't get the coveted Joe_Schmoe Seal of Approval.

Then again, the job hasn't gotten the "coveted Boots Seal of Approval" ::), so it might get some solid applicants.

Good opportunity, no doubt will get a lot of interest.

12. boots

boots New Member

We're going to try this again. Hopefully, this won't get deleted. We said this was a great opportunity. There's really not much more to say other than that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.