1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cover the Minnesota Vikings while the ink is still drying on your diploma

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Sep 4, 2013.

1. JPsT

JPsT Member

Find me another entry-level job in the business that starts at $40,000.

2. sportsgal78

sportsgal78 New Member

Ad reads $35,000 to $40,000. I'm guessing they're going to go $35,000.

3. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Uh, ad doesn't read that. It reads: "This position is covered under our contract with the Newspaper Guild and pays $36,730 to $42,749 based on experience."

4. JPsT

JPsT Member

I figured that was coming. Either way, please start posting these other entry-level journalism jobs paying $36,730-$42,749 on this board.

5. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

OK - my bad, I was thinking it was the main beat position, for which that would be insulting.

Yeah, that's a great opportunity for someone coming out of college. Twin Cities are really nice and that's a heck of a lot more than I made starting out.

6. alexjmoretto

alexjmoretto New Member

I'm sure they're getting up there in applications by now. Threw my name in the hat yesterday. Really my dream job, raised a Vikings fan through and through. My thought in applying for these positions is being from Canada puts me behind the 8-ball. Am I correct in thinking this way?

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Do you have a work visa?

8. alexjmoretto

alexjmoretto New Member

do you not need to be working in the States to have a work visa? How long does it take to get one?

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I was assuming you are a Canadian who lives in Canada based on your post.

If that is true, you should read this if you want to work in the U.S.:

http://www.mcgill.ca/files/caps/canadians_working_usa.pdf

http://www.canadiansinusa.com/Working-in-the-US/h-1b-visa.html

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Better yet, be a Canadian who already holds American citizenship. Like me. ;D

*NOTE: This option may have required some forethought by your parents and/or grandparents.

11. It's the number 3 guy on a beat. That's not bad. I wish these opportunities existed when I came out of college in 2005. The money isn't groundbreaking but a 2 year contract while working for a solid paper is great for a young person. Hell, any person.

12. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Who are the numbers one and two guys?

Draft saved Draft deleted