1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cover songs?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rainman, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Massive fan of these guys, Trucks is my fave guitarist by a mile. They do some other great covers like "Uptight", "The Letter", "Darling Be Home Soon", and Susan Tedeschi sings the fucking shit out of "Don't Think Twice".

Allmans did loads of covers and made some of them their own: "Statesboro Blues", "One Way Out", "Trouble No More", "Don't Keep Me Wondering". Did a cool version of "Into the Mystic" when I saw them a couple years back.

A cover I heard once on a jazz show that I love: Shawn Colvin doing Dylan's "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go".

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

One of my all time favorite covers:

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

At the VH1 show, the Flaming Lips did the best. Tenacious D actually were appropriate for the song and did well. The worst was Pearl Jam. The songs they covered fed into their worst instincts.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Some covers I'd like to see:

--Bananarama doing Eve of Destruction
    --Pearl Jam doing The Curley Shuffle
    --Pat Boone doing Fuck the Police

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've heard Pat Boone's metal covers album. Twice. Ain't the worst album I have ever heard.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

There are songs I like and songs I don't. I don't really go with the notion that one person's version is inherently better.
    It's not a competition.

I love the Grateful Dead, and they did a ton of covers.
    'Not Fade Away' might be their signature, but they did great versions of 'Turn on Your Love Light,' 'Hard to Handle,' 'Queen Jane Approximately' and 'Big River,' just to name a few.
    And don't forget 'Morning Dew' and 'It Hurts Me, Too.'

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"When I Paint My Masterpiece".....

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Another great one - it's between 'Masterpiece' and 'Queen Jane' for best Dead cover of Dylan.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Here's a list of Paste's top Dylan covers, and it includes the Colvin cover already referenced, which is wonderful:
    50 Best Bob Dylan Covers of All Time

You should also check out Joe LeMay and Sherri Reese's cover of 'Wallflower,' which is great.

Uncut released two discs of Dylan covers about 15 years ago that is a must have for Dylan fans.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Here's a link to the Uncut discs, Hard Rain I & II. They are really good.

Uncut Magazine

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The Jason and the Scorchers version of "Absolutely Sweet Marie" is probably my fave Dylan cover. Good to see some love for that.

Johnny Winter's roaring "Highway 61" would be second.

EStreetJoe likes this.
  12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

A few of my favorite Dylan covers (one got a passing mention in the Paste list):

Draft saved Draft deleted