1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cover letter essentials.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wickedwritah, Jan 16, 2008.

1. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Well-stated, Moddy. I've found the most successful cover letters are the ones you described in that rough outline there.

I've never gone above that. Made it sound good, yes. Sold myself, yes. But I'm not whoring out for the job. Sorry.

2. doublej

doublej New Member

I always felt that if you're applying for a writing position, you need a little more flair than the standard nuts and bolts. Certainly don't go overboard and stick to one page, but your skills, experience, etc. should be outlined in your resume. So why harp on them in the cover letter?

Just a thought.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If your work blows, doesn't much matter if you have a great cover letter. Make the work sing like Pavarotti and make the cover letter basic.
    Trust me. One of the few things I did in my very short reign as an SE was hire. Four full-timers and a bunch of part-timers.

4. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

I'm sorry but this guy doesn't have to send out cover letters!

5. doublej

doublej New Member

Definitely a fair argument. Any SEs out there who like cover letters that go beyond the basics?

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If you're going to tailor your cover letter to a specific job opening, perhaps include some details about things you've observed about the paper you're applying to.

That might be more appropriate in the interview process (for example, talking about an issue that's THE hot button topic at that paper with some level of fluency should win you some favor), but it can't hurt to show at least some familiarity with those issues from jump.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

It also helps if you can spell flair.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I'm with Moddy on keeping it simple. Skip the bullshit and get right to the point -- why you're the person for the job, as specifically as possible. And I know not everybody is as draconian about this as I am, but if there's even ONE typo, it's at great risk of being tossed. If I can't count on you to be at your very best when you have all the time in the world, how can I count on you to be mostly accurate when you have 10 minutes to write a 15-inch story?

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Please don't forget these essentials.......

Dear editor,

I know that in today's climate you will not be allowed to hire me or you will hire me then lay me off before the probationary period ends and three days after I get fully moved in so this is probably a waste of time, energy and paper.

However, assuming you are allowed to replace the 512 people who have left your shop with at least one person and I do make it through the first 90 days without being a victim of poor financial decisions in this industry, I would really love to be able to work for you. One of the things that really excites me is that I just heard that you've cut all of your employees salaries by 10 percent to help reduce costs and that you are no longer offering salaries that are commisurate with experience.

In fact, experience, I understand will not be required for this job because it is mostly re-writing press releases and slamming a headline on them for the online edition to appear as if we've made some sort of breaking news story.

That's why I can tell you I am a great candidate for this job, I have no experience, thus I am cheap, I have spent most of my last five years either on welfare, disability or unemployment compensation, thus I won't be shocked or threaten to burn the building down when I am let go and my mama says I am very good at re-writing things.

I hope you will consider me for this job,

Sincerely,

One of last dumb asses in this world trying to break into this God-forsaken business.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The typo point is excellent. As are courtesy titles, names, NAME OF PAPER.

I got several that said Times Dispatch.
    Nope. There's a hyphen. Out it went.

Also, some that called us the "Richmond Times." No better way to get under my skin. Or lose a chance at a job.

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I even go as far as to make sure I use the same style on titles when addressing the letter as they used in the job ad. Even though I believe "sports editor" should be down, if they say to send it to "Sports Editor Joe Blow," I capitalize it.

I know that's pretty anal. (Fun with quote function sitting on tee.)

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Do you include a cover letter when applying via e-mail? What do you do, just lump the word file in, or type it out in the e-mail? If you go the word file way, what do you leave for the body of the e-mail?

Draft saved Draft deleted