1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cousy out as Celtics announcer after 34 years

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl, Oct 10, 2008.

1. KP

KP Active Member

And to further that, even if the analysis isn't as slick as today's TV suits want and harkens back to the old days, it's only a handful of games. Did they think they'd lose ad revenue because they have a 50 percent of his prime Cousy?

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Maybe Cousy wasn't living up to his byline count.

3. Celtics games have never been on NESN.

They were/are carried by Fox Sports New England which is now Comcast SportNet New England.

The legendary Cousy quote is "Wick Wobey with the webound."

Danny Ainge and the Celtics ownership gets "it". You can be sure that the Celtics will find a spot (and a paycheck) for Cousy.

4. Tommy's wife has health issues. That is the main reason he no longer does the long trips. Heinsohn and Cousy could see things coming on the court long before any other color guys I've ever listened to. They also have the cache to speak their minds when things are happening that they didn't like. Nobody will be able to offer constructive criticism like they did (do). From anyone else it just comes off as criticism. There is great respect for both men inside the Celtics organization and from Doc Rivers and the players.

Their like will not pass our way again.

5. I've been lucky enough to talk to Bob Cousy a lot over the years. Never stood up without knowing more about basketball than I did when I sat down. He once gave me a 15-minute analysis on peripheral vision that you could print in the NEJM.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Welcome back F_B. Pull up a chair, we still got Leinies on tap.

7. KP

KP Active Member

If you are going to keep going back may as well drop a SportsChannel New England in there to.

Good point about Tommy's wife being the reason for his abscence on the long trips.

Draft saved Draft deleted