1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cousy out as Celtics announcer after 34 years

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl, Oct 10, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

http://www.telegram.com/article/20081010/NEWS/810100411/1116

Good on Cousy. He deserved better than a phone call like that. Never got to listen to him regularly, but the guy's an institution.

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I wish I had a way to listen to all the great sports announcers that I have never heard. My only basis for great announcers are Dave Niehaus and Kevin Calabro, who are both great. But I would love to hear some of the guys that have been doing it for 50 years.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Google and see if you can find older calls, like in the 80s. I mean, he's obviously only been doing a handful of games in the past several years...but (as newspapers will find out) you just can't replace experience and first-hand knowledge.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If you're ever in Springfield, do yourself a favor and check out the old films of Cousy as a player. He played a game we could recognize today-slower, yeah, but the modern game. He was indeed ahead of his time, by about two decades.
    They kept Cousy to hold a few old Celtics fans in the years when the team stunk. Now it's good again, so they canned him. Nice guys. Hope their stock options are in the shitter tonight.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hope the Celtics fans start complaining to the team and Comcast... what a shitty way to dump him.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I met Bob Cousy once, at a Pistons game, and he was astonishingly unassuming and easy to talk to.

There are some players, with some franchises, who should have some kind of job as long as they want one. Cousy is one of those guys.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

You have got to be kidding me.

There aren't many living legends bigger than Bob Cousy...and they dismissed him via a phone call from some little shit in a suit?

Wow.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Living in New England and having NESN was great during the McCarty years, when Heinsohn bellowed,

I LOVE WALTER!

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

My father, who grew up in Concord and Quincy during Cousy's salad days in the 50s, will be outraged. As he should be. Geez, you can't give the guy the respect of, to paraphrase another thread, say it to his face?

10. KP

KP Active Member

Shitty, shitty way to handle it.

11. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

On the plus side, Holy Cross is finally getting around to retiring Cousy's number (along with Heinsohn and others) this winter.

12. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Very crappy way for Cousy to be let go. He always got really into the games and always made it interesting to watch. His health was an issue, too, so this wasn't completely unexpected. The way the Celtics released him definitely was unexpected. I hope the Celtics honor him to some degree during their season opener.

Draft saved Draft deleted