1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Courtney Paris: A title, or I'll pay

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Mar 10, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Saw this earlier tonight and decided it was the stupidest damn guarantee ever made.

2. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I would guess his response would be "I just motivated you to stand up to me."

He wins either way.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, there was the Patrick Ewing guarantee once before a Game 6 in NY that "we'll see you in Chicago on Sunday"

Of course, when the Bulls eliminated the Knicks in Game 6 on Friday night, Patrick at least could attend Game 1 on the NBA finals in Chicago on Sunday to fulfill his promise

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, but that ticket probably didn't cost him $64K.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Does four years at Oklahoma really cost only 64K?

The schools my niece is looking at cost that for two years or less.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I think this is awesome. To a degree I think it shows she's in tune with her non-athlete peers, who often see the athletes getting a full ride even if they have little or no success.

The moral dilemma: Do you root for Paris and Oklahoma to win to see her do it, or do you root against her to see if she makes good?

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You guys are living in an alternate universe if you think she is giving $64k back to Oklahoma.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Nice PR stunt. Behind closed doors there's no way Oklahoma would take her money. Heck, there's probably some arcane NCAA rule that she couldn't do it even if she wanted to.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

But I bet there's no rule against her or her father making a donation to the athletic department or school, especially after she graduates.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Wow....had to look up Bubba Paris. Is this guy supposed to be a household name?

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I bet that Bubba Paris doesn't have $64,000 laying around to back up a foolhardy guarantee her daughter made.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, that was a dumb thing to say.

Draft saved Draft deleted