1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Court upholds racist team logo on technicality

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, May 15, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

In this case, they're lumping themselves together as the "American Indians." Not a great example of diversity right there.

Yeah, well, you can always find people who will object to/express offence about something - especially if money/public sympathy are the goals of that objection/expression.

We also have a football team in Canada called the Edmonton Eskimos. The Inuit people of Canada, who deem "Eskimo" to be a derogatory term, have not found the team name objectionable enough to be worthy of a court action......nor, apparently, are they too upset by the existence of Eskimo Pies.

Like I said, it's a total non-issue. People who don't like the Washington Redskins because of their name are welcome to cheer for them to get beaten 73-0 every time they go out on the field.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Even after reading the initial story, I'm not clear on this. Are they actually calling themselves American Indians? Or is that the term the writer of the story chose?

As I said, just because some members of some tribes thing these things are appropriate does not mean that all members of all tribes should have to accept it.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

That's actually a good point, oop. My thought upon the first reading was that was the name they had chosen for themselves but now I'm not so sure......my bad.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Actually, that's a wrong assumption. The AP writer is "lumping them together" by using AP style, which is "American Indians," to describe the plaintiffs involved.

The six plaintiffs are (from the press release):

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They have my permission to use the Fighting Slovaks or the Brawling Croatians anytime they want.

Seriously, shouldn't more time be devoted to solving the serious health problems in the Native American community?

How about Snyder donate the money he pissed away on shitty signings (about 10 mil per year) to the Nations for their health problems?

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

There are more than 400 high schools in my state, and almost one in four has a nickname/mascot with a native american reference. Nobody's suing them.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Growing up with Chief Wahoo, and being desensitized to the logo throughout my life, I used to argue with folks until I was blue in the face that there was no harm-no foul. (to wit, I always thought Wahoo looked more like Jesse Orosco than any native American I'd ever seen...)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Then, years ago, I finally gave in. If anyone's offended, why spend any effort fighting the change? Is is really worth it? Just do it. Of course, I still like that my team is named Indians -- whether after Penobscot outfielder Louis Sockalexis or not (there is some debate) -- because that's all I've known. I do like that the team has largely ditched Wahoo in favor of a script 'I' tho.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm a diehard fanboi looser of the team. Have been for years. I own quite a bit of their apparel. I once wrote a column in which I argued the team should keep the name.

That was in 1992. I've since changed my mind.

If the team must keep that name, I'd suggest [​IMG]

Even so, I still think the name is wrong and the logo is wrong.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

So when PETA protests the name "Packers" because meat packing plants are slaughterhouses -- the Packers should change their name?

Again, the wussification of America is near complete.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'm sure, since you're such a badass, that you'd make that exact same point about "wussification" if you were in a tavern in Gallup or Farmington with several burly Navajos in audience.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'd sing "Hail to the Redskins" and make them sing along with me.

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

The nickname is far more offensive than the logo.

Draft saved Draft deleted