1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Court-ordered refund on a credit card notice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Today in the mail I received a notice from a US District Court Settlement Adminsitrator that said that I am eligible to receive a refund of frees charged to credit cards base don foreign transactions from Feb. 1 1996 to Nov. 8, 2006.
    I'm given three refund options and the one that seems to suit me the most (for somebody who has traveled outside the US for less than one week or had foreign transactions of less than $2,500) entitles me to a refund of $25. Yes, it's only $25, but every little bit helps.
    I'm a little worried that this might be a scam, though nowhere on the refund forms does it ask for credit card, bank account or Social Security numbers. If it's a scam, how might it work and is there somebody I could call to see if this is legitimate?
    Anybody else receive one of these?

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Sounds like a scam.

They probably want to gain your trust first, and then as for card numbers.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I got one two days ago.

Haven't done anything yet.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've never received one. I get checks from credit card companies on a monthly basis; you know, those ones for $8.25, but when you turn it over, you see the cashing agrees to terms on something you don't want. So I rip those bad boys up in a second.

I'd call a number on that form to make sure, but as long as you're not "signing up" to something stated on the check or the form, it sounds like you've got yourself an extra $25. Enjoy it.

5. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I believe there was a class-action suit filed against Amex. It had to be more than a year ago. I went to France and England in summer 1999 for 3 weeks so I filed the claim. I got the notice a couple of days ago that my claim had been disallowed. I didn't read it that closely. I think it said I wasn't in Europe long enough. If I still have it, I'll take another look at it when I get home.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It's legit. I got one too

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/26/news/economy/cards_travel/index.htm

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I got one, too. Think I'll take my $25

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I've received the same thing. It is a court settlement. They are just trying to meet out who receives how much of the judgement.

10. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I got one. Haven't done anything with it yet, but intend to. This kind of things happens every so often. I remember I got a $70 in a class-action against AMEX once.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

My wife got one yesterday. Instead of trying to recount all the time and transactions abroad during that time, she's just opting for the $25.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Did you buy anything on the internet from a store/company based outside the U.S.?
    That's probably why you're included, since it allegedly covers all foreign transactions.

The lawyers are the ones really making out big-time here "the lawyers for the class members will request 27.5% of the estimated $313 million expected to remain in the settlement fund after deducting costs for administering the settlement and notice, plus interest, for investigating the facts, litigating and resolving the case. They will also request reimbursement of their expenses, not to exceed $5 million to be paid from the settlement fund"
    By my calculations the lawyers will walk away with $91 million.

Draft saved Draft deleted