1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Counter offers...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OceanLottery, Oct 6, 2008.

  1. OceanLottery

    OceanLottery Member

    I apologize in advance if this doesn't belong on this board, but here goes.

    So, a few weeks ago I applied for a job at another paper, a larger paper, on a whim. Lo and behold, they contacted me, I interviewed three times and got the job.

    But after being officially offered the job, I wasn't terribly excited, despite the pay raise and management-type role. I started to re-evaluate where I am at my current gig and slowly the grass on the other side wasn't looking all that green.

    Anyway, after really struggling with a decision, I decided to take the offer from the larger paper that is still in my market but would require more time away from home. When I told my current employer of my decision they did something I've never known them to do, which was make a counter offer.

    So, how do I present this to the larger paper that's trying to hire me and whose initial offer I've accepted? I'm not trying to hold either paper ransom, but I'm comfortable at my current paper and the money they're willing to put up isn't all that close to what the big boys are offering but combined with the bump in status they're willing to give is making me think I should stay put.
  2. spaceman

    spaceman Active Member

    You don't present it to the larger paper. Make a decision and stick to it.

    If you're staying, stay. If you're going, go.
  3. Elliotte Friedman

    Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

    spacer, I'm sorry, but I have to strongly disagree.

    Ocean, this is one of the only times you will have control over your situation. You must make the best call for yourself, even if it includes leveraging two competing companies. I don't enjoy it, as a matter of fact I hated every second of it the one time it happened. But, you have to do what's best for yourself, especially when so many media companies right now don't seem to care.

    The best advice is can give you though is "Don't fuck with happy." A veteran told me this when I was starting out, and it was the smartest bit of intelligentsia I ever received. Never, ever take a job just for the money, unless the money is the most important thing to you.

    Good luck.
  4. bydesign77

    bydesign77 Active Member

    this has happened to me a couple of times. No reason not to mention it to the new place. They might up an offer or say, well that's all we got. I doubt they would retract their offer. and even if they did, you have the better one with the place you're at now.
  5. thegrifter

    thegrifter Member

    I couldn't agree more.
    Go where you'll be happy. Surprisingly enough, money doesn't equal happiness. Which sucks.
  6. buckweaver

    buckweaver Active Member

    BD's right: They won't retract their offer. But they could give you more, so might as well ask for it.

    "Don't fuck with happy." I love that.
  7. deskslave

    deskslave Active Member

    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a lot of things that will make me happy.

    But, seriously, these folks are right. Take the counteroffer back to the potential new employer. Either they raise the offer, don't raise it or retract it. If one of the latter two happens, you stay where you are and you're better off than you were before. If the former happens, you restart your consideration of which situation would be best.
  8. slappy4428

    slappy4428 Active Member

    If you aren't sure you want to leave and the place you want to stay is offering you more money, then do what makes you happy...
  9. Stitch

    Stitch Active Member

    OP accepted the first offer from new employer. How could you go back and ask for more? If he hadn't accepted the offer yet, I could see taking the offer back.

    I bet the first offer gets retracted if he goes back for more.
  10. slappy4428

    slappy4428 Active Member

    But what if he's going back, not to get more money, but out of courtesy? What should he feel trapped when he;'s got an out?
  11. buckweaver

    buckweaver Active Member

    A common fear, if you don't feel like you have any leverage. Very, very unlikely to actually happen. (And if it does, it's probably not a place you want to work anyway.)

    Too much has to go into the green light to make an offer that it's not likely to be retracted unless there's some serious red flags being raised by the potential employee. Coming back with a counter-offer is not a red flag; it's just part of business.

    If they offer you a job, you DO have leverage. Don't be scared off by the irrational fear that they'll retract it if you don't submit to their every whim.
  12. 21

    21 Well-Known Member

    Just to be clear....the offer from the big paper is still more than what your current employer is offering? What are you going to say to the big paper, if they're already offering more??

    If that's the case, I'm with spaceman on this. Decide. Sounds like your gut is already telling you what to do.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page