1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could you hide $100K from the cops?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I might have to watch this show.

I've seen a $10,000 bill before. I don't know if they still make them. I'd run to a bank, trade in the $$$ for 10 $10,000 bills and then wrap put the 10 bills into those balloons that they use to smuggle heroin and then hope I don't shit them out during the 48 hours.

Worst case scenario, must-see TV of cops digging through shit to get the $$$.

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

You have to keep it all together, right?

3. Mizzougrad96

I'd be curious how the "interrogation" works. Maybe they ask you about where you left it and try to read reactions as clues to where it might be, but it's not like they can say, "Tell us where it is and the judge will be easier on you..."

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You'd have to drive the GPS car to another vehicle, ditch the GPS car, and take off somewhere else. Turn off your cell, or don't even bring it.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Is there a penalty for perjury within the confines of the show?

Converting the cash to larger bills probably wouldn't work. Banks have cameras. Wonder how long it would take to get a subpoena for those tapes ...

6. Mizzougrad96

I was thinking the same thing. I'm assuming there are rules that prevent this from happening.

Otherwise, you run to any store, buy a pre-paid cell phone and call someone, give them the money and tell them to just keep driving.

It can't be that easy.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

With the resources the police have, this is heavily weighted in their favor. They'd have to allow some subterfuge on the part of the contestants.

8. Mizzougrad96

I wonder if the contestants get any kind of time to prep to go on the show. I'm guessing not. Otherwise, you just tell a friend or family member where to meet you, give them the cash and then tell them to go the opposite direction that you're going.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'd just toss it on the floor of my 13 year old's bedroom. No one's finding it there.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It would depend on how well you knew the area where the contest took place and what the money was kept in.

If you were familiar with the area, in theory, you could avoid the GPS tracker and cell and drop the money off somewhere on foot.

I could drop it off somewhere obvious, like my own office, put the bills (or bill) in one of the hundreds of media guides I have and they'd never find it in the allotted time frame.

If you have to keep the cash in the case, that complicates matters. I'd probably have one partner drive the car all over hell and make a bunch of calls on the cell while the other person went another direction on foot and stashed the case.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That would be my plan. Drop off one person with the case (and without their phone) and tell them to hide it somewhere. Don't tell the other person where it is, so the cops can't cross-reference the stories. Person A drives all over and maybe even drops off a dummy briefcase somewhere in BFE. You can get pretty damn far in 30 or 45 minutes and still give yourself plenty of time to cover ground on foot. As the decoy, Person A's job is just to give the cops more ground to cover. He's also got the plausible deniability of not knowing where Person B is.
    Person B, meanwhile, better find a damn good hiding spot and have nerves of steel.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

A flaw in both of our plans is that Person B could screw over Person A. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted