1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could you be a doctor?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Spinning off of the law school thread ... if I had it all to do over again, beginning with first year in college, I would take all my science pre-reqs, maybe do a journalism masters at Columbia or an MFA somewhere, then try to become a surgeon. I really think I could, but some here don't seem to think that it doesn't suit their specific intelligence.

Damn, to be 22 again.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I couldn't. I hated science in school. I'm not naive enough to think I'd have made it through that many science classes.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My brother's getting an MD/PhD right now. No thanks. Money ain't everything in life.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I wish someone had pushed me to be an anesthesiologist. That's a hell of a gig, huge money with somewhat limited (though very, very important) responsibilities.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Heck I could be a doctor with all that sex in the on-call room.

What? Doctors really don't have sex in the hospital with interns? Damn, that's what I get for basing my opinion on Grey's Anatomy.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Nope. Don't like blood.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I have the stomach, but not the brains.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

The human body freaks me out.

9. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

My wife treats patients for a living. Journalism is a toy department compared.

10. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Doctor as in nationally-syndicated sex therapist? Absolutely.

The real thing? Not a chance. My bedside manner would be atrocious.

Besides, I've seen the damage done. I went to a school with a pretty demanding premed program. Every party I went to, there were at least three or four folks in a corner snorting coke or popping pills, and they always were the premed types. From your junior year of high school on, the path to doctorhood is fraught with almost unrelenting pressure and stress.

11. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I almost puke at the idea of doing surgery...so no thanks.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

For the last time, I'm sorry I was naked when I picked you up in Queens.

Christ. It's been four years. Get over it.

Draft saved Draft deleted