1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could Tribune employees soon be working for the Koch Bros?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 12, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2013/03/will_koch_brothers_buy_la_times.php

One rumor has them interested in buying major portions of Tribune Co., including the Los Angeles Times.

Another rumor, passed along by a member of the L.A. Times Editorial Board, no less, has the Koch Brothers helping to finance a bid by "Papa Doug" Manchester, himself a right-wing multimillionaire who in 2009 bought the San Diego Union Tribune and promptly turned it into a propaganda organ for San Diego development.

Now that would lead to some serious soul-searching among committed journalists and editorialists.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is the line about turning the San Diego Union Tribune into a "propaganda organ" for San Diego development true?

I'm willing to believe it's true, but I don't know the details.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Propaganda organ is what North Koreans called Kim Jung-Il's penis.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

http://bit.ly/X4pR6j

5. LongTimeListener

Although I do love the LMGTFY ploy, for YF's sake I will elaborate -- yes, he is very much a propagandist. I can't remember if he has an actual development interest or just wants it to happen because he's so pro-business, but he has mandated that all coverage of the downtown development (including a football stadium) be positive. That was a big issue in Tim Sullivan's departure as a sports columnist.

Also in his tenure the U-T ranked its top five presidents of all time. George W. Bush tied for fifth place (with his papa).

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Interesting. Thanks.

Normally I'd say you're crazy to worry about such interference from an owner, but this would make me think twice.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I wonder what Col. McCormack would think of this? Rich shits have been publishing newspapers for the chance to shoot their mouths off and print propaganda since the invention of moveable type. Nothing new here.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Serious question: If becoming a "propaganda organ" turns out to be a way for a paper to survive, is that acceptable?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be surprised if the ed board member leaked it in the hopes that someone more local and less conservative would step forward.

10. in this era of contraction and paradigm shifting, one could argue from the macro investor perspective that an internationally-known media entity like the LAT might be attractive and possibly financially successfully, ala FOX news, as a rebranded international-reaching right-wing propaganda piece. clearly, the kochs are not going to be getting involved to try and beat the NYT at its own game.

11. LongTimeListener

That is a good one. I think a large segment would say they'd be happy for the paper/industry but would find something else to do.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Well, let's hope all those people continue to have the choice.

Draft saved Draft deleted