1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could the Senate be going back to the GOP?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Feb 22, 2007.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Lieberman switch called "remote possibility." Which is the operating word? "Remote" or "possibility"?

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003548744

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The operating word is "doofus." As in "old_tony."

Joe's not stupid. As an independent, he's in the best position possible as a swing vote.

Joe sees the political winds blowing against the GOP and would be foolish to join them, even as he is held at arm's length (if not outright ostracized) by the Dems.

3. old_tony

So I post a story from the bible of our business -- Editor and Publisher -- and you have to come out throwing insults? Thanks for showing your irrelevance. I believe the phrase is "grow up."

4. Football_Bat

Typical o_t, playing the victim card.

5. old_tony

I'm not a victim at all. Just pointing out that you're incapable of adult debate.

You don't like my politics so I'm not allowed to post? Is that the rule?

Again, the phrase is "grow up."

6. Football_Bat

I made my adult observation and you proved your doofusdom by overlooking it.

Smell you later, victim.

7. old_tony

Would one of the adults from the left please step in and stop your friend from making an idiot of himself?

"Smell you later"" Wow, F_B, that's pretty witty. I look forward to more examples of such wit, but sadly this conversation will end when your teacher comes in and tells you recess is over.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

o_t,

It's confusing when you call Football_Bat, "F_B."

Please refer to him as "batty."

Carry on you deranged old coot.

9. To answer o_t's question, I would love to see Joe in the GOP. But not now.

I didn't like it when Jeffords switched parties, and thus control of the Senate. Now that the shoe's on the other foot, I still think it would be wrong.

Work this out at the ballot box. Perhaps when one seat isn't crucial to the balance of power, Joe can come over, if he wants.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Lyman, to go off track a bit, whats wrong with switching parties? Do the people vote for party reps in congress, or do they vote for the candidates themselves? I guess, how much should party affiliation matter when voting for someone? I'd like to say not much, but I know different people vote different ways.

11. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Technically, Joe is an independent, so he shouldn't have to switch to one party or another, simply vote based on his personal beliefs (What a concept!). But even if he does become a fulltime member of the evile empire Republican Party, the majority will only last until 2008.

From everything I've read, it appears that 3-4-5 seats will be in serious jeopardy for the Repubs in 2008.

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I've wondered myself if Lieberman might jump to the GOP, now that he's more Red than some of the Republicans. The Bushies might like that, since when they inevitably go back to the slash-and-burn management style they had before the midterms, people will blame Lieberman more than the Bushies.

And on a tangent, has anyone noticed that Time seems to have tilted rightward since its makeover a month or so ago?

Draft saved Draft deleted