1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could the Hartford Whalers be reborn?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

What about the fans who have watched high-level hockey there in the decades since the 1910s?

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

To be fair, that was definitely part of it. But the sellout streak that was evidence of the great fan support came in a building that held 12,888.

3. PCLoadLetter

They've had a WHL team there for about 32 years now. Entertaining as hell, but not really all that high-level.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Highest level of junior hockey in the world.

And before that Portland had the Buckaroos of the minor-pro WHL, which was only one step down from the NHL.

5. PCLoadLetter

Well, yeah, but the Buckaroos disbanded about 35 years ago. And while the WHL may be the highest level of junior hockey, it's still 16, 17 and 18-year olds playing hockey. I enjoyed those games a lot more than the typical NHL game, and saw some damn good players along the way. I just don't think that should be viewed as an indication that the fans would become knowledgeable.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I grew up on Whale hockey... my cousin took me to a Whale game or two at the mall back in the day. He was a fan dating back to their Boston days.

I don't see hockey working there now. The league has changed, the pro sports landscape has changed. UConn football wasn't even on the map 15 years ago, and the basketball programs are now soaking up some of that sponsorship money that would have been going to the Whalers when they were there. You do have a solid industrial/insurance base with Pratt-Whitney and the insurance firms, and of course ESPN, but it would take private money to build a new arena. And you have the issue with the place probably filling up just eight or 10 times a year, when the Bruins, Isles and Rangers visit. OK, maybe when the Canes come in, too, so people can boo.

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I have no idea if they're fans are knowledgeable or not......nor do I care. I don't want more than 24 teams, definitely not more than 30. If a team wants to relocate to Portland, fine, they deserve a shot more than about 8 current franchises. I'd prefer another team in Canada, if that's not possible, the new city must be in a northern location and many residents own snow blowers.

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I favor contraction. 24 strong franchises sounds about right. I'm sick of struggling Sun Belt teams.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Heck, if the Chicago Blackhawks can be reborn, why not the Whalers? Or move the Sharks to Hartford so the California Golden Seals can be reborn.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sure. why not?

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

What about Columbus and the Islanders? Also, New Jersey ranks behind the Lightning, Kings and Hurricanes in attendance this season.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Not comparable situations at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted