1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could the Hartford Whalers be reborn?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Also, wouldn't the Hunt family need the NFL's blessing if it were to pursue another sports team? I thought the league had clear rules mandating that its owners could not own other major sports teams without its permission.

2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

i would love to see this.

those connecticut folks loved their whalers.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Not enough, apparently.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

From Wiki:

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

That's like saying Brooklyn didn't love the Dodgers enough.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I'd rather see the NHL in KC than the NBA. Either way, the Sprint Center is just sitting there, waiting on somebody to move in.

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

the only way I want another team in Hartford is if the NHL drops 6 teams and moves one of the remaining 24 to Hartford....

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

You know, every time people start talking about bringing back the Whale or moving a team back to Winnipeg, they ignore one small detail: they left because no one gave a shit about the team. The Wikipedia entry points out that Hartford had the smallest arena in the league, but seems to ignore the fact that they still routinely had 4,000 empty seats.

Average attendance for the last 6 seasons for the Whalers:

'91 - '92: 10,896 (3rd worst)
    '92 - '93: 10,144 (2nd worst, barely better than Tampa Bay in their 1st year)
    '93 - '94: 10,492 (2nd worst)
    '94 - '95: 11,822 (2nd worst)
    '95 - '96: 11,967 (3rd worst)
    '96 - '97: 13,680 (3rd worst, despite the "Save the Whale!" campaign)

Sorry, Hartford, but no. Loved the jersey, though. One of the best logos in sports.

And Portland comes up each time, and as a non-NHL city with an NHL-ready arena I can understand why. But as someone who has attended plenty of hockey games in Portland I think it would be a complete failure. The Portland Winterhawks have very loyal and supportive fans who don't know shit about hockey. It's the only place I've seen where the fans (a) yell at the refs for icing calls, and (b) scream "call it both ways!" at the refs for failing to call icing on the other team... when the other team is on a penalty kill. And I have heard both more than once, when I was surrounded by season ticket holders. These are not people who are going to pay NHL prices to see hockey.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Portland was one of the earliest successful U.S. markets for hockey back in the mid 1910s (the first American city to mount a challenge for the Stanley Cup) and the game has always, always done well there.

Why are there apparently so many know-nothing fans there?

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I don't know. It was absolutely bizarre. And I grew up going to LA Kings games in the 70s and 80s, so it's not like I was used to crowds that were all that knowledgeable in the first place.

One other thing about Portland: is has a good rep for supporting teams because the Blazers used to sell out every game, but once they moved out of a shoebox size arena that ended. I just can't see another team succeeding there.

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

they're all dead now.

PCLoadletter.....I don't know why but I found that icing story hilarious!

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Was it that, or was it Blazers fans becoming disenfranchised with the Jail Blazers? I'm going with the latter there.

Draft saved Draft deleted