1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could someone ask Billy Payne to STFU?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Bill doesn't necessarily need their approval but it still creates a media circus for the country club that it didn't need.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yes he does.

Ask CBS about approval at the Masters.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I had a huge problem with this when I saw it last night on the news. Who the fuck cares that this guy was your role model? He reminds me of the crying production assistant from Anchorman.

Tiger's personal life has nothing to do with Augusta - their chairman should have kept his mouth shut.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Bingo!!!!!

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The role model for Billy Payne had to be Bobby Dodd. There is a whole corp of southern Atlanta gentlemen whose daddies either played for Dodd or at least worshiped him. They all passed that love onto their sons.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm positive that if a representative of Augusta National had not said anything in condemnation of Tiger Woods this week, somebody on here would have complained that the club was all but condoning his reprehensible behaviour.

In fact, it seems to me that it was said here that the Masters would the perfect tournament for him to make his comeback. Not just because of his familiarity with the course, but because the club would protect him from the big, bad media and from certain fans who might be, shall we say, less than worshipful.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I didn't have a problem with anything Payne said, but if he has his own family issues than he's pretty stupid for coming out like that.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And then he'd get ripped for not addressing the issue.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I would worry more about explaining to the children and grandchildren why the girls in the family can't join your club.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Wrong school. Payne was an All-SEC football player at UGA. He may look up to Bobby Dodd, but I'm sure his worship is reserved for Vince Dooley.

As for the speech, I took it as them saying, "Tiger, you can hide from the media here. But you can't hide from the membership. You've caused us some discomfort, and in return, here's your medicine."

I've been saying for weeks that I wouldn't be surprised if AN told Tiger to sit this one out. This is the same club that bought the air time just to avoid having the Burk crowd harass the tournament TV sponsors. The more time goes by, the more surprised AN didn't tell Tiger to sit.

Little matter. The next tournament he plays in won't be nearly so insulated.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Bobby Dodd is the high priest of Georgia football. Dooley probably worshiped at his alter.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

\Augusta National is not obligated to meet the non-discrimination standards courses hosting tournaments on the PGA, LPGA and Champions tours must meet. The Masters is exempt from this requirement because the PGA Tour classifies it as a "non-PGA Tour co-sponsored event." The U.S. and British opens and PGA Championship also fall into this category.

However, all courses hosting events on the PGA Tour, LPGA circuit and Champions Tour (formerly the Senior PGA Tour) must legally attest in tournament contracts or other documents that they do not discriminate in membership practices and policies on the basis of race, sex, religion or national origin

Draft saved Draft deleted