1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could Novitzky be under fire?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by creamora, Jun 12, 2007.

1. creamora

creamora Member

Maybes are best sometimes. The case is about "cheating to win" and maybe when all is said and done Novitzky will be determined to be the biggest cheater of all. Maybe Novitzky will be indicted. Would that surprise you? Could the hero of Game of Shadows possibly be indicted? Has he broken laws all along the way? Ask Michael Rains if he has any evidence of misconduct by Novitzky. What if the Chronicle boys have knowledge of misconduct by Novitzky, but have not reported it? It ain't over yet that's for sure.

2. I think I can guess.

3. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

I can't wait for the next turn in the "Mark and Lance (and the Chron), American Heroes" saga. This is just getting started. Or, I should say, it could be. Depends on what we find out via new info on Novitsky, from Ellerman, etc.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

A little more from Rains ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2904759

5. creamora

creamora Member

cranberry,

Novitzky is about be exposed. Strap on your seatbelts! The fun
    is about to begin.

6. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Outstanding. Can't wait.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Exposed as what? The guy who sent a bunch of drug dealers to prison?

A lawyer whose client looks guilty to the world and has legal action looming over his head comes out and says, "I have evidence of wrongdoing by the Feds! But, um, I'm not going to tell you what it is."

Yeah right. There's a reason no one paid any attention to him... It's the same old BS.

How's that libel lawsuit against the SF Chronicle he blustered about going?

8. cranberry

Well, I still haven't heard the name Novitzky come up and I'm trying to guage whether Rains is confident or tossing a 'Hail Mary' on this. I guess we have to stay tuned.

Meanwhile, deal's off for Ellerman, who drew a pretty tough judge. If a new agreement isn't reached and a trial takes place, the Chronicle folks would be asked to testify. But that's highly unlikely.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/06/15/MNG72QFUR31.DTL

At Thursday's hearing, White said Ellerman's actions had damaged the criminal justice system at many levels -- harming grand jury secrecy, frustrating witnesses' expectations of confidentiality, interfering with the BALCO prosecution, forcing prosecutors to chase down the leaks, and smearing agents whom the attorney accused of leaking and lying to investigators, the press and the courts.

9. creamora

creamora Member

Ragu,

You make me laugh.

Cranberry,

Some cops on the inside may have turned on Novitzky. Novitzky may have told some lies under penalty of perjury. There may be evidence to prove that beyond a reasonable doubt. Is it possible that Novitzky may be indicted and not Bonds?

10. cranberry

But I read Game of Shadows and it clearly shows that Novitzky is a hero! And you have to believe the book because the writers' sources knew Novitzky so well it was as if they were present for all of the key moments in the narrative, which is a good thing because Novitzky's recording devices kept failing at all the wrong times.

11. creamora

creamora Member

Cranberry,

You have a brilliant mind for deductive reasoning. Just think, pretty soon Ragu will be able to use the pages of his book as toilet paper.

12. creamora

creamora Member

For those who missed it, Larry McCormack did a live TV interview on CBS 5 at 6 PM after the Ellerman hearing on Thursday. He said that the two Chronicle reporters shared in the accountability for the grand jury leaks and they should also receive some type of consequence. If you recall from an article in The Recorder, McCormack stated that he had personally given evidence from the case directly to Fainaru-Wada. Now that McCormack seems to be grooming himself for the Tonight Show, look for more details about the role of Fainaru-Wada to emerge.

Draft saved Draft deleted