1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could Blazing Saddles or All in the Family come out today?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was discussing this with someone the other day. In this hyper-PC world, could classics like Blazing Saddles or All in the Family come out today?

What other classic shows, movies, music, etc... could not come out today because of the way the world is now?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Blazing Saddles: no.

Also, E.T. could come out, but it wouldn't be universally beloved. It would be seen by Fox News as an anti-development, anti-business screed from tree-hugging Hollywood.

3. Mizzougrad96

No way could All in the Family make it on the air today. There would be protests at the network before it even aired.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's funny watching All in the Family now that I am so much older.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The "Norman Lear is a racist" thread would reach 50 pages the night of the first episode.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Would anything be universally beloved? The Internet doesn't allow for that.

7. Mizzougrad96

Exactly. They would boycott of all things Lear ever touched, the network, the actors, the companies that advertised on it ...

8. Mizzougrad96

The Internet doesn't allow for anything with Dark Knight in the title not to be universally beloved. :D

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Would Bodie start the thread?

10. Mizzougrad96

No, it would be someone else who would start it on the behalf of Polacks. :D

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

If Family Guy can be on the air, so could All in the Family. Archie was repeatedly shown to be wrong in his bigotry. I bet Whitlock's fingers would explode from all of the columns on the topic.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I agree. Blazing Saddles was unrepentant, but All in the Family always had a moral. The difference: Blazing Saddles is a movie. Movies can get away with more.

Draft saved Draft deleted