1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could be Columnists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Kindred is one of the best sportswriters of our generation, which is why I was so stunned to see him publish a list where clearly he put almost no thought into it and listed a bunch of people, most of whom he's probably never read.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

There are at least two dozen people on that list whose work I like, A LOT.

There are also at least five I wouldn't read, execpt at gunpoint.

Different strokes . . . though I expect there'd be a pretty hardcore consensus on perhaps five of 'em being on most people's top 15, among that group.

3. ETN814

ETN814 Member

The list is clearly just a collection of young people in high-profile positions. There's no thought involved here. No one sat down and thought about the credentials of the people listed. The sloppiness of the whole process makes it pretty clear.

4. ETN814

ETN814 Member

It's like Adam Schefter listing four retired players on a list of guys he thinks should be in the Pro Bowl. Oh, but Adam was just trying to be nice to Night Train Lane.

5. Mizzougrad96

I traded emails with a copy editor friend who works at a paper where one of the guys works.

"I said, 'Hey, did you hear (writer's name) was called one of the writers who could be a columnist by the great Dave Kindred?"

He responded. "We're thrilled because we've been hoping someone would hire him away for more than a decade and we're hoping this speeds that process along." He also reiterated that the writer in question is "without a doubt the worst non-preps writer on staff."

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I must have stepped in something. Something stinks in here. Can't figure out what it might be.

7. Mizzougrad96

I'm just thrilled that people seem to be in agreement on this one...

When it involves someone like Kindred, I just assumed everyone would be kissing the ground and thanking him for bestowing his greatness on 45 lucky soon to be columnists...

Glad people were able to see through it...

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

This.

Not understanding the nastiness here at all.

10. Mizzougrad96

Because it's a half-ass attempt from someone we expect more from.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

12. Mizzougrad96

I'm just pointing out that Niyo, Mellinger, Brewer, Gutierrez, ARE major columnists.

Branch, Maese and Skolnick have been columnists. I'm sure there are more on the list who have been as well..

About 10-12 names on the list fall into the "duh" category. You mean the beat writers at the WP, LAT and NYT can be columnists someday? What a reach... Hruby belongs in that group too... He was an ESPN page 2 columnist/writer. Bachman as well...

I love Kindred, but that list is a lazy effort.

Draft saved Draft deleted