1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Costco Unplugs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I posted that to illustrate the lag time between a viable form of transportation and the development of an infrastructure to fuel it.

Costco created an infrastructure before there was a need for it.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

OK. Misunderstood. I thought you were saying the need is imminent, it's just a year or two too early. Which seemed odd to me, because electric cars have been around forever. It's an idea without legs. I misunderstood why you posted it.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

As hybrids have taken over, I have wondered about the need for an electric car. The standard is reduce your emissions by 20 percent, right? Going from 25 mph to 50, in a cleaner-burning engine besides, more than accomplishes that goal.

Those electric cars aren't cheap, either, and probably won't be anytime soon.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It also illustrates another point - that the lack of a widespread fueling infrastructure doesn't mean a mode of transportation is itself not viable.

5. The Big Ragu

In the case of the electric car, it means that there are not chargers all over the place because the car itself is impractical and more expensive than the common option available.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As most horse owners would have said to you about the gasoline automobile in 1908. The introduction of a single successful mass-produced version of that technology changed everyone's mind.

7. The Big Ragu

There have been lots of attempts at marketing electric cars. This is an idea that goes back to before Henry Ford. There is little demand, because it's not practical (a scaled down car gives you range of less than 200 miles) and it can't be done cheaply.

The difference between the horse-drawn carriage and the mass-produced internal combustion engine vehicle is that the internal combustion engine car was cheaper, and it was way better. Electric vehicles have severe limitations relative to gas-powered engines. It's why no one has been able to market one. It doesn't beat what already exists. MAYBE if gas becomes a lot more expensive, people will look for alternatives, but we aren't anywhere near there yet, and if we reach that point other potential technologies don't have the range limitations.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

So if electric cars took off - and most of them need some gas, correct? - wouldn't gas producers just reduce the supply of gas, therefore in the end people would have to spend just as much on gas as they do now? Just more per gallon?

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Yeah, I don't really understand the point of these "neener neener" posts regarding green energy. Oil won't be around forever, but I guess some people just like to pretend it will.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Until an electric car has a trunk that can hold all my golf crap and not just batteries, no sale.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Agree. Same thing with compressed natural gas.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Indeed. Electric cars may have viability issues, but it doesn't make sense to me to cheer their difficulties. I guess some people will continue to delude themselves.

Draft saved Draft deleted