1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Costas, Whitlock and gun control

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 3, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Thought this deserved its thread, if only to get it out of the group psychosis of the initial Belcher thread. Don't know how many people saw Costas during the game last night, but he took his fireside chat and essentially read Whitlock's column over the air.

Costas: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/03/bob-costas-gun-control-jovan-belcher_n_2229496.html

Whitlock: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jovan-belcher-kansas-city-chiefs-murder-suicide-tragedy-girlfriend-self-leave-orphan-daughter-why-still-playing-sunday-120112

In the coming days, Belcher’s actions will be analyzed through the lens of concussions and head injuries. Who knows? Maybe brain damage triggered his violent overreaction to a fight with his girlfriend. What I believe is, if he didn’t possess/own a gun, he and Kasandra Perkins would both be alive today.

I think this is undoubtedly true. Regardless, it's a raging topic -- start Googling Costas and "gun control" will be one of the first choices attached to his name.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Reader comment at Deadspin, reposted here from other thread:

"OJ would not have shot his wife with a knife if guns were banned."

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Costas channelling Whitlock. Probably not the time or place. If you are going to do that, own it all. Don't outsource the indignation or commentary. Thought it was unnecessary.

The idea behind background checks etc. is nice. That people in a huff won't be able to go out buy a gun and go shoot someone. But so many people have guns these days, it probably makes it moot.
    Blaming "gun culture" is trying to establish "meaning" in a situation that has none.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Bob Costas believes that if Rick Majerus didn't own a spoon he'd be alive today.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Perkins probably would have died at Belcher's hands, literally, or with some other weapon - knife, bat, lamp, rocks - if he had not used a firearm. He snapped and wanted to kill her and himself. He would have accomplished that somehow.

To say she'd be alive if he didn't have one is pure speculation.

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

If I had a nickel for all of my Facebook friends with status updates about this yesterday ... I'd probably have a dollar.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

While I disagree with Costas (and Whitlock), I'm amused at how some NRAers are basically saying their Second Amendment rights trump his First Amendment rights.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Obviously, Whitlock threatened to eat Costas if he didn't pimp his column.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yeah probably. Probably.

Probably.

Be nice to know.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Guns make it so easy and so instantaneous. You can make a two-second decision and someone is dead. I just don't think that happens when you're dealing with the more physically confrontational ways.

11. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeardley_Love

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I doubt Kansas City is much different than most many American cities in that if you want to buy a handgun on the quick, all you have to know which street corner to visit.

Draft saved Draft deleted