1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cost of living

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Madhavok, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

The apartment thread got me thinking about how much we're all throwing down for rentals and such. In my neck of the woods, you better come out here with a place to live before a job or you'll be in your car for a while. People split bedrooms, sometimes three to save money and by 'saving', they're still spending $400/month on rent. Most studios/one bedrooms go anywhere from $900 to $1,600.

I found a large house with three bedrooms (total rent is beyond me) and I'm spending quite a bit, more than I want. Rooms seem to go for about $600-800 here and it's insane.

I'm sure places like LA, NYC, and San Fran are going to dwarf my numbers, but it sure makes me miss WNY where you could rent a three bedroom house for about a grand. Having said that, people here will spend the money because we're all here for the same dream: to ski/snowboard as much as we can at arguably the best resorts. Even the Kardashians came here! haaa

This isn't meant as a bragging topic, because if it was, I'd be bragging about only paying $300/month for a place! Which, I'm sure most of us aren't looking at it as a bragging topic.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

http://www.payscale.com/cost-of-living-calculator

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I had a studio apartment in Richmond that was running me $1,020 a month. That included all utilities and cable/internet, but still.

I'm paying just north of a grand for a 1BR in Connecticut, with covered parking and heat included. I still have to pay electric and cable/internet/phone.

In BFE, KY, however, I was paying $450 for a two-story duplex.

4. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Well that answers this question. My only problem is, Denver is cheaper than my current town.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Studios go for $900-$1,500 here in DC. I'm sharing a 2BR in a 10-story apartment building with my girlfriend, total of $1895 a month plus utilities. That is an absolute steal for where we are (Bethesda), and we still can't figure out how we got this deal. It includes parking, concierge desk and a nice gym on the first floor. The appliances aren't very new, which is the only thing I can think of that brought down the price.

6. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Good god.

I pay $775 (total, sans roommate) for a two-bedroom apartment in a medium-sized complex. 2br, 1.5 bath, dishwasher, SWG included. I pay for cable, internet, electric and coin-op laundry. Also get one covered parking space and it has an elevator (thank god, since I live on the fourth floor).

Maybe I don't wanna move... :(

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Damn Ducky, my studio is like 850. Maybe I should move south.

8. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

A friend pays $4,000/month for a 1 bedroom on the Upper West Side. Stop complaining.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

No desire to ever overpay just for the joy of living in New York. Strictly a West Coast kid here.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

$545 for a spacious one bedroom.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My friends pay $2900 for a 2-br AWESOME place on the UES. I'd murder for it...and may someday.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Dude, you never should have left Kenmore.

Draft saved Draft deleted