1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cory Lidle's plane crashes in NYC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

If you don't have enough airspeed, you'll stall regardless of what you are doing. Necessary airspeed is determined by angle of attack (how the wing is positioned to the airflow), which changes in turns, altitude changes or when you adjust the control surfaces (flaps, ailerons, rudder). Stall just means there's insufficient lift being generated to offset your weight. Big chunks of stunt flying involve intentionally inducing stalls for the nifty tricks you can do when that happens.

Short answer long, yes.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

According to the latest report I heard on the radio part of the plane is still sitting in one of the condos, a wing and an engine I believe.

If you owned that condo, or any of the others that caught fire, could you continue to live there after it was repaired knowing that two people were killed there? I'm not sure I could.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Is that Donnie Darko's place?

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

His family will also have his MLB pension (he's vested on first day of big-league service and doesn't have to pay in) and 401-k, but the estate will likely face lawsuits, so his fmily's financial well-being isn't a certainty yet. It's the part about a 6-year-old kid whose dad isn't coming home that bothers me.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Don't you know who I am? I'm Alec Baldwin, star of 30 Rock, airing tonight at 9 on NBC! I have to get upstairs to set my TIVO!!! WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T GET UP THERE?!?!

(heading for hell)

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I hear what you're saying, and yes this will probably require some lifestyle changes. But, if his affairs were in order, than his family should be set. If not for life, then for a long time.

7. DBV is correct in what he said.

In addition, yes, you could slip in a turn regardless of if your engine was/was not working. Regardless, in an engine failure situation, you wouldn't want to slip, because it is going to decrease your gliding distance.

The only reason you'd want to slip if you lost your engine would be if you had picked out a suitable emergency landing spot, were high on your approach, and wanted to lose the altitude to get down.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Not really.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

without a doubt.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Spare me.

I mean, no fucking shit.

But money is a big issue.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Alec Baldwin lives THERE?

It's sort of low-rent for Manhattan (mill per unit), ain't it?

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I thought I read somewhere (maybe here) that Baldwin was still living in SoCal, but commuting to New York for 30 Rock. Maybe he's just slummin' until 30 Rock's fate is known.

Draft saved Draft deleted