1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corruption down at the NAIA level

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I worked in Dickinson during this time period. I'm just wondering where did the coach get the cash to pay players. There was a player from Brazil, one from Russia, one from Serbia and one from Bosnia on the team, which had 26 players last year.

Last season's coach resigned under a cloud last December and the new coach cleaned house as she only has 11 players, with no overseas players.

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/event/article/id/50354/

The chancellor of state system of higher ed ordered an investigation of the entire athletic program this week as well.

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/event/article/id/50311/group/Sports/

Just thought it would be interesting to note that corruption isn't just at the NCAA level.

2. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Very interesting. NAIA has plenty of corruption though.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If people had the time and resources to look into it I think they'd be shocked to learn that non-revenue & small college teams willfully violate NCAA (and NAIA) rules at levels that would make Ohio State look like BYU.

Call it the "Nobody's Paying Attention" syndrome.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Alleged illegal payments for volleyball???? That's a first.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You mentioned BYU and it's funny the school has fired two men's volleyball coaches in recent years. One coach was fired in 2008 after Cuban defectors were given money to pay immigration fees, with one getting $13,000 total and another who never enrolled for classes. That coach's successor was fired in 2010 after more problems were found with distributing scholarship money.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

FWIW, some of the most flagrant set of recruiting violations I can recall in these parts in the last 20-25 years occurred at Mississippi College, a Southern Baptist school that had to vacate a Division II national championship as a result. They play at the D-III level now.

Draft saved Draft deleted