1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corporations and the First Amendment

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Jan 21, 2010.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You quoted yourself. You mentioned soliciting prostitution. That's against the law, whether you agree with the law or not.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The playbook is simple. If you agree with the decision, they're judges that do the right thing. If you disagree with the decision they're activist judges.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Today's ruling is a scoreboard changer.

Before today
    Russ Feingold accomplishments in 18 years in the Senate: 1.

After today
    Russ Feingold accomplishments in 18 years in the Senate: 0.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

That's not true at all.

And I'd say the majority of judges these days have become activist judges so it is nice when they actually, you know, read the constitution and make a decision based on what it says.....

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Let's agree that they interpreted the constitution to mean what they think it means.

6. zagoshe

That freedom of speech means that restrictions on speech are illegal?

Yes, that is what it says.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ziggy,

The issue here was PAYING for speech. You and your friends can shout "VOTE PALIN 2012" all day long if you want.

But if you pool your pennies and buy TV ads for Sarah Palin you could violate existing campaign finance laws.

The basic question here is whether money is speech and whether that "speech" should be regulated as contributions to campaigns are.

The negative here is that is will become even more important for candidates to secure backing from corporations or special interests to have a shot at getting elected.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Two more steps down the road to Roman Empire.

9. zagoshe

Which is exactly why all those campaign finance laws already on the books are bullshit.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A lot of people agree with you.

11. zagoshe

I know, I know, you go to law school so you are the authority on everything blah, blah, blah

Get over yourself.

Far too many of our judges have no problem stepping all over the constitution or stretching it one way or the other make it fit their own personal agenda, or the agenda of the POLITICIANS who appointed them or, in the case of those who actually run for their judgeship, the groups that paid their bills.

The fact that the overwhelming majority of our judges are appointed by politicians virtually ensures that judges will make decisions based on politics, political philosophy and idealogy as opposed to the actual law.

12. zagoshe

I see - you get to tell me I don't know what I am talking about but when I tell you to get over yourself, it is my fault right?

Give me a break.

Draft saved Draft deleted