1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corporate bigwigs coming to my paper tomorrow

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jay Sherman, Jan 6, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Subtle reference...

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Keep us posted.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I was writing that post whilst taking calls, so I should have said three full-time writers ARE left.

We used to have seven full-timers (SE, two desk, four writers) and a part-timer (who split duties between writing and taking calls). Now we have three writers, a stringer, one desk guy and the SE. Guess who gets to do a desk shift each a week now? The three writers, of course. And people are starting to wonder why there aren't as many stories in the paper. ... Hmmm, I wonder.

I used to be REALLY on top of my beat. But last month, shit started slipping through. And you know what? I don't give a fuck any more. Because I could dominate the fuck out of my beat and corporate's response would be to say, sorry, we need to eliminate all overtime. Sorry, you can't travel four hours to a league basketball game. Sorry, we need you to work desk and take phone calls. Sorry, mileage is being cut by 0.07 a mile because gas prices are down (conveniently, mileage wasn't raised when gas was $4.10 a gallon here. Go figure.)

This used to be a calling. Now it's a paycheck. Punch the clock. Do your work. Go home. The beancounters have made it this way. They've sucked all of the life out of it. And you know what? I don't feel back about not giving a fuck. Because it's clear, they don't give a fuck, about their employees, their readers. Nothing. Our section is a shell of what it was even two years ago. I'd be embarrassed. But I don't care any more.

4. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Well, they came. And I got laid off. I have til January 20th, and if I stay that long (which I will), I get about $500 or so in severance + paid vacation + other stupid money stuff attached to my paycheck.

I'm sending out resumes as we speak. :(

And a move was something I was considering for a while, but it was going to be on my terms, and certainly not for a few months.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That sucks brother... sorry about that...
    but your severance pay is only $500? Not two weeks per year?

6. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Two weeks per year, probably, but I've been there seven months.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Sorry Jay. Who else got dinked?

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Hang in there, man. Maybe this will turn out to be a good thing in the long run. I know it might not seem that way right now, but try to be optimistic.

You've got a lot of support here.

9. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

I'm gonna start another thread about it, gimme a sec.

I know this is probably a blessing, I just wanted to leave on my terms, and not this soon.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If they wouldn't give you the full two weeks, that's cold. Not unexpected, but cold.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Whoa Jay that totally blows man. You'll land on your feet.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Jay,

I'm so sorry to hear that. Best of luck finding a job whether it's in journalism or not.

JakeandElwood

Draft saved Draft deleted