1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corporal punishment

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think we're all probably more in agreement than we think. A lot of this seems like it's just turning on different people's interpretations of words like "yelling" and "spanking."

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

http://bible.cc/proverbs/13-24.htm

It must work, our species has never been more obedient or peace-loving.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

First of all, class is a different thing from parenting. It is a much smaller amount of time, a different environment and a different relationship. People need to understand that. It's one of the reasons I'm against corporal punishment in school.

Secondly, who said the yelling has to be an emotional reaction? That is the point you're not getting with a spank, either. It shouldn't be an angry reaction. It should be a calculated decision. It is a tool, not an emotional response.

4. Dick Whitman

I'm getting the point. I agree that there is a distinction between "yelling" to get a point across ("No touch!") and "yelling" because you lost control ("You dumb fucking kid! You're worthless! I wish I never had you!")

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

How so?

6. Of course, the only potential flaw is, what if the student gets in a lucky punch and knocks out the priest?

You might have kids falling all over each other fighting in order to get a crack at one of the priests. :D

And, as I believe you pointed out, the priests eventually get too old to box.

7. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I'd be uncomfortable with the idea of a school teacher, administrator or anyone other than me doling out corporal punishment. Give the kid detention, make the parent leave work early to come get him/her at school and let the parent handle it from there. I don't know if I'd be willing even to do it myself. But I wouldn't want someone else doing it.

But if we're going to allow corporal punishment, there need to be very clear guidelines (both within the school/institution and codified into law) for when it is to be used and how. Otherwise, we could get kids in some jurisdictions getting a couple of relatively light whacks with a paddle and kids somewhere else getting hit with canes, as they do in Singapore.

8. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

When I was in elementary school, there was an assistant principal at our high school that was legendary for the wrath he would unleash with each paddling he gave. He was, in general, a really nice guy that everyone seemed to like, and fear, at the same time.

There were huge football players that would get paddled by him and admit it hurt so hard they would cry. Not the type of cry where you are sobbing, but the type of cry where it hurt so bad a few tears of pain roll down your cheeks.

I never got paddled in school, and I can't even remember getting detention (maybe once or twice in middle school for being tardy), but I don't see what the big deal is with corporal punishment. I think you should have guidelines in place, and only administrators should have the ability to paddle, but it's just not a big deal to me. If you want, give the parents the ability to have a written opt-out for their child.

My dad was a middle school principal and gave kids the option of getting paddled or going to detention for X number of days. Almost universally, the kids would choose to be paddled.

9. Dick Whitman

What seems to not make sense to me is that (with one gigantic exception) we don't have corporal punishment as an aspect of our criminal justice system. Either we don't think it works or we think that it is inappropriate.

Why is this different? Do adults have a greater claim to dignity than minors? But that could cut the other way, too - minors are vulnerable members of society who need more protection.

Thoughts on an apparent inconsistency?

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You really think discipline for a child is the same thing as discipline for an adult? Seriously?

11. Dick Whitman

Why don't you just answer the fucking question for once in your life instead of starting a personal pissing match?

So tired of your bullshit.

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

It's just too broad of a statement.

Draft saved Draft deleted