1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corey Pavin Shoots 26 on the Front 9 at Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Jul 27, 2006.

1. SellOut

SellOut Member

A golf writer who leaves the media tent? Next thing you know, you'll tell me there really is a Santa Claus.

2. I am lucky enough to have played Brown Deer quite a few times. Playing there is a great lesson for all of us hackers to learn how good the guys on the Tour really are.

Brown Deer, especially in the weeks leading up to the tournament, is a complete beast. They grow the rough really, really, really long so those of us that are wont to miss a fairway from time to time :) are reduced to playing wedges back to the short stuff when we hit a wayward tee shot.

The greens, for us hackers, are super fast and have a pretty decent amount of break. I am a long-hitting amateur with a 15 handicap and am ready to do cartwheels when I break 90 at Brown Deer.

In short, this course is really difficult for us average folk -- which makes it even more amazing that it's an easy course for the pros, who go out there and rip it up. The winner has never shot a round above par. If you're a pro and shoot 70-70 the first two rounds it's time to pack your bags and head to the next Tour stop.

I've been watching the pros on the range there and they can flat out play. There was one dude hitting driver after driver off the deck and every shot he hit had the exact same ball flight. It reminded me of watching Lee Trevino on the range at the Western Open many years ago send his caddy out with a shag bag and every glorious fade Mr. Trevino hit landed within 10 yards of the caddy. Of course, this was while Lee was smoking cigarettes, talking and signing autographs.

Pavin made a couple of putts more than 30 feet on the front, so he had to work for his 61, if you can believe it. It amazes me to think how difficult the courses are that these guys have to play great to shoot 67 on...

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Shooting a 26? Whoop-de-damn-doo.

I can shoot a 26, and I can do it in just four holes. :D

4. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

I got excited. It never happened again.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Next time, maybe Mr. Rod-reee-quez will get his score UP to par.

Draft saved Draft deleted