1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editors an engangered species

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ace, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Endangered? Without question.

Engangered? Ditto. 8)

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The fact that people read this board, read Ace's posts, and not just one person (who was corrected) but THREE PEOPLE would think the thread title was a typo is blowing my mind.

3. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

And journalism dies a little more.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I went to school with one of the copy editors named in that link, Ace. I wish the best to him and the others who were canned, "voluntarily" or not.

And as a member of this "engangered" breed (yes, I got the joke), I agree with what many others have said on here:

Between laying off copy editors, combining production departments for papers in several different states, and focusing on Twitter, online video and other gimmicks instead of reporting, it seems clear that newspaper companies will do anything to save themselves EXCEPT improve the quality of their newspapers.

Sad stuff.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

yep

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If I could find a suitable job in another profession, I would jump.

The main reason isn't that I fear for my job so much or am tired of newspaper reporting.

I realize that we are struggling, but the industry continues to make short-sighted decisions that continually weaken the product. It's hard to feel positive about that.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

This is the board filled with people who assume themselves to be part of the intellectually elite yet need a special font to denote sarcasm.

But he DID misspell engangrerd.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

OK, OK. I confess. I typed it out that way by accident.

I immediately noticed the error and thought it added just the right touch.

So if you thought it was a typo. You are correct.

If you thought it was done on purpose. You are also correct.

Thank yew.

9. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Thank you for pointing that out. I must confess I don't commit to memory the personal details and job descriptions and talents of every single person on this board so I had no idea that the thread title wasn't a typo.

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Yeow is spelled incorrectly.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Screw yeow.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted