1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy Editor, Stars & Stripes

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Claws for Concern, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Posted on journalismjobs.com today (Sept. 29)

Company: Stars and Stripes
    Position: Sports Copy Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $35,000 to $40,000
    Ad Expires: November 3, 2006
    Job ID: 686627

Description:
    Stars and Stripes, the independent newspaper for the U.S. military overseas, have an opening for a Sports Copy Editor in Washington. We want journalists with bright layouts, gripping headlines and lots of enthusiasm. Daily newspaper experience and a record of effective teamwork are musts. Email resume to jobs@stripes.osd.mil Stars and Stripes is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

What, no Fallujah agate-clerk posting? I'm gutted.

3. Jinga_Thomson

Jinga_Thomson Member

Stars and Stripes, the independent newspaper for the U.S. military overseas, have an opening for a Sports Copy Editor in Washington.

Good thing they have an opening for a copy editor.

Does this mean you get your choice between working for either Stars or Stripes? Geesh... (/endpetpeave)

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I really, really wanted to work there at one time.

I guess I was out of work, whatever (1991-92?)

I just remember at the time they were real persnickity about whether you had experience with their front-end system, as if all of us haven't quickly picked up every damn bit of software we're using now.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Just be careful: every so often, you have to deal with doctors from M*A*S*H units who want stories written and brass who'll shut it down.

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

well played friend.

7. Jinga_Thomson

Jinga_Thomson Member

That's what I get for reading about the Padres' playoff rotation as I was responding. At least that's the story I'm going with, anyway. Well played indeed, buckweaver.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

think your publisher blows donkey dong? ... try having the military TELL you what to write. i've know a few folks who've worked for this "paper" on the news side ... just go in knowing the military doesn't give two shits about the first amendment.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Does this mean they can't handle the truth?

10. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Their whole sports section is wire copy. The job is putting together wire pages -- tabloid-sized, so it's pretty simple. They have a little bit of staff copy that comes from reporters stationed at overseas bases -- covering prep teams from the base schools and whatever other sports there are on the bases. But 90, maybe 95 percent of the stuff is wire copy. The one plus is no late nights ... they have to transmit the stuff overseas to get printed, so the last edition goes out around 8 or so. But there's zero writing possibility there. It's only for people who want to lay out wire pages.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Hacker, it also likely pays well, comparatively speaking.

Draft saved Draft deleted