1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor(s) needed, The Jakarta Globe (Jakarta, Indonesia)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TrooperBari, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

How about we let people who are interested in this job discuss it here without being flooded with the usual meaningless barbs that are the M.O. of some individuals here?

K, thx.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Please, Tomas.

3. TrooperBari

S'allright. I know you're good people.

We've had about a dozen people express interest. I would advise anyone still on the fence to go ahead and send your stuff. The sooner we can get this place up to full strength, the better.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and how long do you guys figure it will take to get to full strength?

5. jps

jps Active Member

sorry, tb ... pitched the idea to my wife tonight and she nixed it pretty quickly. didn't realize how serious I was at first, but still was pretty unsure about leaving the U.S. (to be fair, she wasn't too keen when I brought up the idea of Alaska a while back, either.)

6. TrooperBari

No worries, jps. You have to do what's best for you and yours.

-------------

Tomas: A few copy editors for now, then we re-evaluate after a few months. I know I could certainly use at least two more sports reporters and/or a columnist. My staff is one-fifth the size of the news or biz desks.

7. seravaf

seravaf New Member

Haha, no pun intended on the "flooding," right?

I understand what was said about the flooding and how the natural disasters do happen here, but that happens more frequently than every 5 years. It sucks, but I'd imagine in a city with 15 million people, it is a little tougher to take.

So sorry for my "lack of gumption."

I didn't even talk about the personal dangers that exist for just being white. Those dangers are real, even though they are supposedly "rare."

My sincere best wishes for anyone that takes this, you are a more courageous man than I.

8. Viewtiful

Viewtiful New Member

For being on a journalism site some of you are pretty oblivious to the effects of the media. Just think about it: What story are you more likely to hear/see/read on the news? "White person gets viciously beaten and robbed in foreign country!" or "White person is not robbed in foreign country!"

or how about...

"Terrifying Disaster in Indonesia!"
    vs
    "No Terrifying Disaster in Indonesia!"

The only reason it seems to you like everywhere outside of America and Europe is dangerous is because the American media can only publish negative stories since the positive ones are so uninteresting.

This is the same as someone saying "every American has a gun." Because all they watch are westerns.

In truth, being white in a very non-white nation is probably pretty similar to being gay in America. One in a million people might be a bit hostile about it, many others will give you a disapproving glance, some will think its funny, and still others will think it's sexy.

9. Do they have English/International schools in Jakarta? I ask, because I might be interested in this, but have a 16-month old. Thanks.

10. TrooperBari

They do, though as I don't have kids, I wouldn't be much help on cost or quality. Here's one:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jakarta_International_School

11. Thanks, TB. Threw my resume in the mix yesterday. It's not cheap at JIS, but it looks like a quality school.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Can't imagine why it wouldn't. Many a Peace Corps volunteer has one, including my co-worker here in my town in Morocco, which is far, far smaller than Jakarta.

Draft saved Draft deleted