1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor/page designer -- Columbus (Ga.) Ledger-Enquirer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MonsterLobster, Jul 6, 2011.

1. This ad doesn't specifically mention it, but this is a 50/50 sports/news design and copy editing position. From the j-jobs post...

The Ledger-Enquirer is looking for two great copy editors to join its universal desk.

Simply put, these are solid jobs on a talented staff of journalists. We're serious about quality and we have the resources to get the job done the right way. All that's needed are the perfect candidates to fill out our roster. Could that be you?

We have a lot going for us:

-- OWNERSHIP. The news biz undoubtedly is going through a period of incredible change. What team do you want to play on as we transition to a digital future? McClatchy outperforms the industry in almost every measurable aspect. We emphasize high journalistic standards and embrace an array of new strategies for serving online readers. Other McClatchy newsrooms include The Miami Herald, The Sacramento Bee, the (Fort Worth) Star-Telegram, The Kansas City Star, The Charlotte Observer and The (Raleigh) News & Observer.

-- TALENT. The company you keep is important. Want to work with veterans and newcomers who are former Dow Jones interns? This is NOT a dead-end job. The L-E has launched countless careers, and its alumni populate some of the largest and finest newsrooms in the U.S. Those who stay here enjoy an engaging work environment and a high quality of life.

-- LOCATION. Columbus is a growing city that’s a 90-minute drive from downtown Atlanta. It is home to Fort Benning, one of the largest army installations in the U.S., and is a business center with headquarters for major corporations such as Aflac Insurance, Synovus, Carmike Cinemas and TSYS (one of the world’s largest credit card processors). Fort Benning is in the midst of a major expansion that will bring almost 30,000 people to the area later this year as the U.S. Army Armor School moves here from Kentucky. Columbus is on the move.

-- NEWS. All of this growth and its related issues make Columbus a fantastic news town. There’s plenty to write about, and the newspaper takes great pride in its enterprise reporting efforts.

-- FOOD. Google "scrambled dog" and "Ranger burger." Need we say more?

-- FUN. We have a sense of humor.

Interested? E-mail a one-page cover letter and resume (with three professional references) to Marcia McAllister, assistant to the executive editor, at mmcallister@ledger-enquirer.com. Put COPY EDITOR in the subject line. Do not send work samples at this point; we will ask for them as the screening process progresses.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1259737

2. And just to shed some more light on the job, I've worked there for almost three years now as a writer and have no major complaints and almost no minor ones. In fact, I'd say our newsroom is in a lot better shape than those of others I know in similar-sized newspapers (about 35K circ, maybe 40K on Sundays).

Not too long ago we got a new EE who is big on design and innovation, and we're still perfecting a recent and very welcomed redesign. It would be a good place for someone interested in sharp design and thinking up new features. There are a lot of possibilities when it comes to the sports section and a lot of variety as we run daily copy from our Auburn beat writer, a UGA beat writer at our sister paper in Macon and an Alabama stringer and we usually mix in some Georgia Tech, too, along with a lot of high school coverage.

And Columbus is a lot more than the military town most people make it out to be. If you're into sports or the outdoors, there's a lot to do from a very large and very active adult rec soccer community, good minor league ice hockey and semi-pro indoor football, and even a growing adult ice hockey league. There's a pretty large art community based out of Columbus State University, and there are clubs for all sorts of things.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

3. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

I doubt they need me to vouch for them, but I worked in Columbus for about five years and am a fan of a lot of the folks who are still there. The Ledger was really good to me and the sports section does good work with the available resources.

As for Columbus, nobody will mistake it for a bustling metropolis, but I honestly think it gets a bad rap. I enjoyed living there and am thankful for my time at the LE.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

From my time in Macon, I can say the L-E was a great paper, and somehow still is.

As far as Columbus goes, well, it's not Atlanta, but it's ok.

5. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

That's a definite excellent job for someone. Columbus isn't as bad as you'd think. The L-E guys do a great job with sports and I had the pleasure to get to know a lot of them when I worked in Georgia. Great guys and a great section.

6. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

My youngest brother lived in Columbus and then in Macon.
    He preferred Columbus. Vastly.

7. HorseNBuggy

HorseNBuggy New Member

Given McClatchy's move to a centralized desk in Charlotte for the NC papers -- how long before Columbus and other McClatchy papers are affected by this. In other words, how long will these new jobs in Columbus actually be there?

Draft saved Draft deleted