1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor/golf writer, San Bernardino Sun/Inland Valley Daily Bulletin

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by buckweaver, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The San Bernardino Sun/Inland Valley Daily Bulletin is looking for a copy editor/golf writer -- emphasis on copy editor. We're looking for someone with strong word skills who can read copy cleanly and quickly, write crisp headlines and help out with our high school and local colleges coverage. The desk spot is based at the San Bernardino office.

This person will also write a weekly local golf column for The Sun. There will be opportunities to cover tournaments throughout Southern California. In the past, we have covered the (recently defunct) Nationwide Tour event in Rancho Cucamonga, the Skins Game, and PGA, LPGA and Champions tour stops in Palm Springs, Calimesa, Moreno Valley, Indian Wells, et al.

At least 1-2 years experience at a daily newspaper preferred, because we deal with a steady flow of staff-produced copy every night. Pagination experience desired but not required. The salary range is low-to-mid $30K.

Please send your resume and clips to:

Sports Editor Louis Brewster
    San Bernardino Sun
    4010 N. Georgia Blvd.
    San Bernardino, CA 92407

No phone calls, please. E-mail louis.brewster@sbsun.com with questions or PM me here.

The Sun and Daily Bulletin have a combined circulation of 120,000, covering the Inland Empire. They are in the Los Angeles Newspaper Group chain, which also includes the Los Angeles Daily News and papers in Long Beach, Torrance, Redlands and the San Gabriel Valley.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Low $30ks to live there?

Ouch.

Although Mr. Brewster is from all accounts, a wonderful man... the outpouring of support on here after his son's death is testament to that.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

You can PM me for questions as well. Lots of knowledge about the paper and the area.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Louie is the kind of guy for whom you'd run through a brick wall ... or two.

Everyone knows the Singleton story, and I'm not going to deny that we're in a challenging situation ... but no worse than any other paper, at this point. We have good people here. You'll enjoy working for Brewster, and you'll enjoy living in SoCal.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

As always, I can be tapped for PM-friendly work and area knowledge. That is an awfully low pay range, considering.

6. joe

joe Active Member

I left a fridge you can have.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Can echo Buck's sentiments and Mile High's take on the area, since like him, I grew up there.

Louie is one of the best bosses in the biz. Period.

And whoever gets this gig, you get to deal with us on golf. ;D

8. MileHigh

If that's the case .... stay far away. From you and Secore. ;)

9. oldfart

oldfart Member

Let me add a big "Amen" to that, MileHigh

10. MileHigh

It was more a dig about Birdscribe than the job.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Isn't the IVDB Bo Jackson's favorite paper?

12. oldfart

oldfart Member

I'm well aware of that, MileHigh. Also know Birdscribe, Secore and others at their esteemed company, so I'll say "amen" again, in my most jocular manner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.