1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor/designer, Richmond VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MJHRVA, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Or they can be both - well edited AND well designed. Many are both. I don't know what stuck in your craw that made you convinced a paper that looked good was edited poorly.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Or they could be neither.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Maybe I'm an exception, I don't know. I was hired at my current gig, yes, to be a designer. That was where the focus was, because we had separate people to do almost all of the copy editing. I was supposed to give stories a final look on the page, before they got to the slot. But my primary responsibility was design.

Took about a week for that to change. ... It always takes about a week for that to change, in my experience. I've never been able to concentrate solely on design, because there is *always* editing that needs to be done. ... I don't know a single "copy editor/designer", at any paper I've worked at or been around, who forsakes the editing for the design.

Maybe the major metros are different, I don't know. My paper is less than 100K. We have to be jacks and jills of-all-trades every night. I know from experience that it's that way at every smaller paper I've been around. I can't imagine it's much different at most other papers our size, either.

Just my $0.02.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I agree with most of what DyePack says about design not helping circulation. However, I think it's grossly unfair to criticize an SE for a specific hire without knowing the makeup of his staff and each person's strength. Perhaps the editing was already in good shape, allowing the SE the flexibility to improve the desk rather than merely fill a hole. I don't know how old you are, DyePack, but SEs made these kinds of choices before any of us were called "designers." Even in the composing room days, if a rim editor left, he or she was not always replaced by a rim person (and vice versa), and it had nothing to do with valuing one over the other but in trying to upgrade the staff if someone especially skilled came along.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

when a designer kills your mother, let me know what you think then smartguy

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Knowing your shop, that's very true.

7. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

Because clearly, if Chris Wilbers is a good designer, he must not be able to write or read.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Or feed or dress himself.

9. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

Dang (slapping head)! I forgot to ask him if he could read or write. Or dress himself.
    Good thing he's just a designer.

I'm posting another job soon. I don't think DyePack will be interested.

Draft saved Draft deleted