1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor/designer, Richmond VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MJHRVA, Oct 5, 2006.

1. collegewriter

collegewriter Member

I feel like <A HREF=http://www.styleweekly.com/article.asp?idarticle=12621>this story</A> should be out there, if only for a differing opinion on this place. I have no view one way or another about the T-D (very good reputation), but I read this story a few months back and found it compelling.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Yeah, that was talked about pretty extensively a while back.

3. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

Yes, it got kicked around on the sports editor thread. I was jumped on for saying don't believe everything you read. I stand by that.
    Style is an alt. weekly with a well-earned strong reputation. Those folks do a good job.
    This story was a tad overdone.
    There's been some change at the TD. That makes us different from a lot of newspapers how? Change always brings a little tension. If there's somewhere it doesn't, please let me know.

If reading that story makes someone decide not to apply without further investigation, I'll look at it as their loss and not ours. If you investigate our place and decide it's not right for you, I'll respect that completely. I'm guessing most who investigate will find it's a pretty good joint.

4. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

We now have a permanent sports editor, if that's the thing that may have been keeping you from applying.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Yeah, until they find out WHO it is ...

6. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

Then they'll crawl over glass to deliver their applications.

7. Bump. Any movement on this?

8. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

Some. The deadline was a week ago but this is the last week I'm still doing double duty. Couldn't drop the beat cold with basketball assignments made. It will be moving very quickly next week and the week after. And the writing gig will move quickly once that deadline passes.

This was a great team before and it will be even better with a few new hires. While the deadline has passed for this one, keep your eyes open. May not be the last desk and/or design job.

9. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

Chris Wilbers from the Roanoke Times will join our staff in Richmond in late December. Chris is a very talented designer and we're glad he's coming to work here.

Appreciate the interest, which was considerable.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Sometimes you draft the best available athlete, DyePack. I don't think you can legitimately make a case for Richmond dissing copy editors. You see someone good, you hire him or her and adapt. In the 1980s I was talking to a 200K and was more of a word guy with OK layout skills. They expected to lose their slot -- last eyes on the copy -- sometime in the next six months, but at the time had only a layout spot open. I said, well, I'll send you some layout samples. I could do that job until the slot opens. SE said, hmmm, good idea.

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted