1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor/designer, Richmond VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MJHRVA, Oct 5, 2006.

1. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

No, we don't have a sports editor yet before anyone asks. I've been acting sports editor for two months. We hope that situation is resolved soon. This is a good job, the desk crew here is full of good people.

Company: Richmond Times-Dispatch
    Position: Sports Copy Editor and Page Designer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: November 9, 2006
    Job ID: 688881

Description:
    The Richmond Times-Dispatch is seeking an experienced copy editor/designer to help produce attention-grabbing Sports pages that will lure new readers and keep old readers satisfied.

You will be working closely with colleagues to edit, design and paginate the daily and Sunday Sports sections, edit copy, check facts, write headlines and captions, and lay out pages that are easy to follow and capture readers’ attention. You will also be responsible for running the night Sports department operation on occasion.

Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree. Three years as designer/copy editor at a daily newspaper essential; six years preferred. Must have experience in pagination and word processing; desktop publishing and design experience are a big plus. Requires general sports knowledge, extensive knowledge of standard journalistic practices, proficiency in editing wire and staff stories, laying out pages, communicating orally and in writing using standard English with correct grammar, spelling, syntax and punctuation. Requires sound news judgment, a sense of ethics, and inventiveness. Ability to multi-task and produce on deadline are a must. Computer literate with working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel), Microsoft Explorer, Harris NewsMaker, and Harris Pagination preferred.

Hours: 40 hours a week to include nights, holidays, and weekends.

To Apply: Please respond by COB, Tuesday, October 24. Internal Candidates: complete Internal Application/Transfer Request and forward to RT-D Human Resources along with cover letter and resume. External Candidates: complete online application form and upload a single Word or .pdf document containing your cover letter and resume at jobs.mediageneral.com for Job ID# RNI-000665

2. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

MJHRVA--
    Thanks for the posting. ... What is the size of your desk like? I see the section on occasion, and am curious as to the size/makeup of the desk/workload, etc.

Thanks!

3. The guys and gals at the TD are definitely a fun-loving bunch. I've hung out with a few of them at a couple of races and always had good times.

4. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

It is a little short right now, which is why we're starting to hire.
    On a regular night, we'll have 2-3 designers, 2-3 other copy editors and 1-2 part-timers in along with an agate person. On weekends, we'll have as many as 12 people in during the prep season.
    At full strength, we have six designers who also work copy editing shifts.

5. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Thanks for the info. The ad says that this person will run the operation from time to time, which sounds great. ... Can you tell if the folks you mentioned split doing section fronts?

And your Sunday section is just one section, correct, no second colleges section?

6. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

Our new designer will do section fronts - probably not on the first night. We have a lead desk person every night, a job that is rotated among the designers. That person assigns desk duties for the night, handles a couple of pages (usually not the front). Our new designer will eventually go into the rotation for that job.

We've done two sections in the fall in the past. We are not doing that this year. When we get back to full strength, we'd like to start doing that again.

7. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Thanks again, a couplre more questions then I'll give up the podium. ...

I know soem folks who live downtown in various parts, and their rent is fairly high. .. Any idea of rent outside the city, i.e., Mechanicsville, places like that? Or does the hire not want to be that far?

Is the desk staff pretty young?

Thanks again...

8. neely8

neely8 New Member

I have a couple of questions about this position too. Is this a 7-day-a-week position or will the candidate work 5 days a week.

Obviously this is a night-time job, what are the hours?

As a member of the Media General Family, how does the RTD feel about promoting from within?

What is the starting salary for this position?

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

This has the Wicked Seal of Approval. Agree with those who pimp the T-D staff -- they have some real good writers and even better folks with whom to chill.

10. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

I hope I cover everything:

We have people living all over the area. No need to live downtown. Lots of good, reasonable places to live all around town.
    We do promote from within.
    Salary depends on experience. The paper pays pretty well.
    Five days a week is the work week.
    Desk staff is a mix - we have them in their 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s. A good mix of good people who know what they're doing.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Now if only they'd name a sports editor!

12. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

Soon, spnited, soon.

The hours question:
    Regular desk shifts are 4-12:30, designer also comes in at four.
    The "in charge" person gets there an hour earlier to get things organized. The shift carries a $20 differential.
    One of the designers gets Sunday planning duties on Friday and can basically pick his or her hours that day. Most do a noon-8. We try to rotate that among all the designers. The Sunday planner becomes the Saturday night "IC" (in charge).
    When we're at full strength, we'll also assign our designers special sections where they can get 3-4 days to put it together - during the day.
    We do a regular section and a four-page NFL wrap for Mondays during the NFL season.

Draft saved Draft deleted