1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

copy editor, designer, reporter in Hawaii

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Jun 24, 2013.

1. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

likely would be a phoner for this one. at least it was in 2006

2. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I figured as much.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Gas can be expensive, but the upside is you really can't drive that far. Three hours on Hawaii Belt Road and you're pretty much back where you started. The most cost-effective way to move to Hawaii is to pack as lightly as possible and fill out your place by buying stuff from people who are leaving the island (odds are there will be more than a few). No sense in hauling a bunch of appliances and a car out into the ocean when you can easily buy something similar off someone who's desperate to be rid of it.

4. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Wait... that's a good salary for a place with a cost of living as high as Hawaii? I live in a pretty pricey area on the mainland, and $40K would be gone very quickly. I can only imagine how much basic staples cost when they have to be imported.

Feeding all your visiting friends ain't cheap either. ;)

5. TrooperBari

You would have to try hard to find an $18 cocktail on the Big Island. $40K is decent, not great, but a single person can make it work. Eating more of the local fruit and fish can help take some of the sting out of the food bill.

http://entersandland.com/2012/03/27/cost-of-living-in-hawaii/
    http://www.konafriends.com/moving-to-hawaii.html

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A former co-worker works at one of the Hawaii papers and he had to accept the job site unseen. I'm guessing they have to do that a lot.

7. TrooperBari

Not sure about the papers on the other islands, but when I interviewed with one of the Stephens Media papers, they had me fly out to interview in person after an initial phoner. Just a quick three-day visit. I'm glad they did, though, as it allowed me to get an idea for what Hawaii and the job were and what they weren't (I hadn't been off the mainland until that point).

Draft saved Draft deleted