1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor/designer in Tyler, Texas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by chase.colston, May 10, 2010.

1. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

This is a news desk spot, but our desk is on its way to becoming universal pretty soon. So, anyone with sports copy editing and design experience will likely move to the front of the line.

Here's our ad from JournalismJobs.com (and please excuse the awful "Position title"):

Company: Tyler Morning Telegraph
    Position: Join our happy copy-editing team!
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: June 14, 2010
    Job ID: 1168933

Description:
    The Tyler Morning Telegraph seeks an experienced copy editor who can help us improve our look and content and be a good fit for our company’s cultural excellence. The Morning Telegraph — a debt-free, financially sound family-owned daily with a stable circulation of about 34,000 — is an industry innovator and a fantastic, positive place to work, where ideas come from the ground up and become management's job to actualize. Tyler, a city of about 100,000 residents, is nestled in the scenic, piney woods of East Texas about 90 minutes east of Dallas. Recreational opportunities abound in and around this beautiful town. It's a great place to live, work and raise a family. Send cover letter, resume and work examples to Managing Editor Brian Pearson at bpearson@tylerpaper.com or P.O. Box 2030, Tyler, Texas, 75710.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like the ad says, our shop is debt-free and we're making money. Our staff is bigger than it was five years ago when I started there, and we're doing a lot of great things as a news organization. Salary will suck, but you already knew that. Tyler is very livable on what you'll make, which I will guess will be around $12/hour, but I know they're looking for someone with experience, so that could change.

PM me if you have any questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted