1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor/designer for Knoxville News Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Philkaplan, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

The bad news is I just lost my lead copy editor. Matt Johnson, who I hired at the end of 2010 and has done a fabulous job here, will be moving to Nashville and work in the Gannett hub. The good news is I can replace him.
    The job is posted on the E.W. Scripps job board as a multimedia journalist.
    I will be looking for someone with experience working at a daily newspaper. Someone who has a proven track record editing stories, making good decisions, clean layout and able to work under deadline pressure. This would be an ideal job for a manager at a smaller paper looking to move up or a desk person looking for a fresh start.
    I'm also in the process of narrowing my search for a college men's basketball writer. It's possible I may make this hire first.
    Send a cover letter and resume. My contact information is below.
    Phil

Phil Kaplan
    Sports Editor - Editorial
    News Sentinel | knoxnews.com
    Products of KNS Media Group
    2332 News Sentinel Drive
    Knoxville, TN 37921

kaplanp@knoxnews.com

2. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

I'm giving this a bump.

I'm starting to identify candidates and hope to have a working list very soon.

Phil

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Too late or NOT too late?

4. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

Thanks.
    Need that copy editor quick.

5. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

The job has been filled by Matthew Lutey.
    Matthew has been working for Media General's consolidated desk in Lynchburg, Va., since September of 2010.
    While at the University of Tennessee, Matthew was an intern at the News Sentinel for one semester and followed that up as a part-time clerk for a little over a year before being hired by Media General.
    -Phil

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Good for Matt, who is a Tennessee guy hoping to get home. He rarely worked on my paper, but I've heard nothing but good things about him.

(Funny how he sits about two rows over from my desk and I hear about it at SJ. Ha. Maybe I should go to the office more often.)

Draft saved Draft deleted