1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy Editor/Designer - Baton Rouge Advocate

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, May 7, 2013.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Advocate has an opening in the Sports department for a Copy Editor/Designer to work 40 hours per week.
    Summary of Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
    The Sports Copy Editor/ Designer is responsible for reading sports stories and ensuring content is accurate and understandable, spelling and grammar are correct, and that content complies with industry and local styles and standards. The Sports Copy Editor/ Designer will also build pages and allocate print space for story text, photos, and illustrations according to space parameters.
    Required Education, Prior Work Experience & Specialized Skills and Knowledge:
    Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field and at least three years copy editing experience is required. Good organizational and time management skills are a must. Previous pagination in InDesign a plus. Knowledge of new digital media, including electronic devices, such as e-tablets and smartphones, is very desirable. Must be facile at learning new software systems for handling news copy, photos and graphics.

Send resumes/samples to Executive Sports Editor Joseph Schiefelbein.
    jschiefelbein@theadvocate.com

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I don't know what direction of snark to go.

3. mcleme9

mcleme9 New Member

Good people

4. airbag2929

airbag2929 New Member

Good job to have and Joe is an excellent SE to work for. Whoever gets this gig will enjoy it tremendously!

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Just got back from NOLA on Thursday.

The Advocate announced Wednesday heavy additions to its New Orleans bureau staff. And it had a presence in mini-markets and drug stores about the equal of the Times-Picayune. They're making a serious push.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

The job itself is probably good, but you'd have to live in Baton Rouge. That's one of the trashier cities I've been around, and I spend more time there than I'd prefer.

7. bigtimmy

bigtimmy New Member

any update on this?

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Close to the Abita brewery.
    Close to New Orleans.

There is absolutely no downside to this job!!

Draft saved Draft deleted