1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor, Des Moines Register

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mark Emmert, Nov 1, 2006.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

"Moved" is such a stretch for a site that is only 15 minutes away. :D

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

Paper doesn't pay a great deal anyway, and the reference to this being entry level seems to highlight that.

3. accguy

accguy Member

Don't see this paper that often, but do know a couple of people who work here. If you're in the mix for the gig here, make sure you get a bit of an idea of what the deadlines are. They are ridiculously early. So early that the product certainly suffers.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Do they still actually play high school baseball in Iowa in June and July?

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

An entry-level position that calls for a skilled editor, then wants said editor to aspire to "rise" to designing.

The newspaper apocalypse is here.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I haven't checked out the paper too much lately, but the staff is top notch. Easy to work with and everyone gets along.

7. JB20

JB20 Member

Indeed they do.

8. So this renders American Legion ball nonexistent?

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You're misquoting him. He said, "The person we're looking for would primarily be a rimmer, but could also work his or her way into design shifts, depending on interest and aptitude."

"Work into" is neutral unless you choose to read into it something that may or may not be intended.

But the fact is that on some sports desk, "rise" would be correct. On some desks, the shift leader is a word person. On other desks, the shift leader is a design person. I've been that person in both cases at various points of my career. And to be honest, I have my personal preference but do not see a whole lot of difference in the final result because on a good desk, the shift leader is going to have knowledge of, and respect for, both design and editing. If that's not the case where you work, well, it must suck to work there and I feel sorry for you, but you ought to understand that it's not that way everywhere. There are some designers who are pretty dim and lack news judgment, but seldom are they entrusted with the final say on the product. And there are word people who fail to recognize the need to present the news with some sense of style, and seldom are they entrusted with final say on the product.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I generally assume "work their way into" means "rise," but I guess at some newspapers, that's not the approach used to decide who's on the desk.

11. JB20

JB20 Member

As someone who grew up in Iowa, what is this American Legion ball you speak of?

12. Mark Emmert

Mark Emmert New Member

Just a quick update to let you know that we've filled this opening. Jamie Suhr, former sports editor of the Mason City Globe Gazette, will be joining us Feb. 6. Thanks to all who applied; we had a strong field of candidates.

Draft saved Draft deleted