1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor, Des Moines Register

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mark Emmert, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Mark Emmert

Mark Emmert New Member

SPORTS COPY EDITOR
    The Des Moines Register is searching for an energetic copy editor to bolster the sports staff at one of the most respected newspapers in the country. This is an entry-level position, the perfect opportunity for a skilled editor ready to move to a larger paper. Top applicants will exhibit exceptional word skills, a strong knowledge of sports, speed and accuracy on deadline, and familiarity with AP style. Design experience is a plus.

The Register straddles Big Ten and Big 12 country. The newspaper covers four Division I universities, triple-A baseball and hockey teams, a burgeoning auto-racing scene, and prides itself on a sophisticated and in-depth approach to prep sports.

The newspaper also is intent on building one of the best Web sites in America, and is looking for creative candidates that can help in that area.

The Gannett-owned Register has a circulation of 145,000 daily and 245,000 Sunday.

Send a cover letter, resume, references and 6-8 work samples to Mark Emmert, deputy sports editor, Des Moines Register, 715 Locust St., Des Moines 50309. Or e-mail those materials as attachments to memmert@dmreg.com.

The Des Moines Register is committed to diversity and proud to be an equal opportunity employer.

2. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Mark,
    Thanks for the post. How weird is Gannett on hiring people who've worked with, and left, a Gannett paper before?

Can you tell me what your desk is like, staff and responsibility-wise?

Thanks!

3. Mark Emmert

Mark Emmert New Member

Haven't been with Gannett long myself, but I don't see why it would be a problem as long as you left the paper on good terms. It certainly doesn't bother me.

As for the desk here, we have 10 editors/designers and an assistant sports editor, James Kramer, who oversees the night-time operation. On a typical weeknight, we'll have two designers, three rimmers and an agate person. On Saturdays, we have three designers, five rimmers and the agate person. We also have four part-time news assistants who help with taking phone calls, clearing the faxes, typing in high school and small college results, etc.

The person we're looking for would primarily be a rimmer, but could also work his or her way into design shifts, depending on interest and aptitude.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

4. Journalista

Journalista New Member

Mr. Emmert,

I live in Charles City, Iowa, and I am looking for a job at a newspaper.

I was sports editor of the Mt. Pleasant News, and I have many years of experience at small dailies and weeklies.

I know how sports works at the Des Moines Register since I am a regular reader, and I think I know what the expectations would be for a job there.

I also saw this opening on the Associated Press Sports Editors' Web site based in Dallas, Texas.

Give me some smoke signals when you have a chance.

Signed,

Eric Viccaro

5. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Mark,
    Thanks for the information. It seems, though, that Eric has an early leg up on this job.

I appeciate you answering my questions, even though it seems that it was in vain.

6. Mark Emmert

Mark Emmert New Member

Gentlemen:

Not sure what more you're looking for. If you're interested in the job, please go ahead and apply. Contact information is in the original ad. No one has a "leg up" until I actually start receiving resumes and clips.

Good luck,
    Mark

7. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Priceless.

8. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I thank you.

9. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

YOU'RE HIRED!!

10. Journalista

Journalista New Member

Mr. Emmert,

Thanks for your professional reply.

It would be nice if others on this board were as professional as you.

Point given.

I will be sending materials in the next 24 hours.

Once again, thanks.

Eric Viccaro

11. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Dearest Eric,

Perhaps, instead of posting a note on a message board, you would be better served by simply e-mailing the person you wish to contact. That way, you won't be mocked and ridiculed by members of the board.

Point taken?

P.S. They moved the Associated Press Sports Editor Web site, previously based in Dallas, Texas, to Tahoe. Just wanted to let you know.

12. Journalista

Journalista New Member

SCM,

Thanks for the heads up.

Signed,

Eric

Draft saved Draft deleted