1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

copy editor 'clips'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by modryrox, Oct 26, 2006.

1. modryrox

modryrox New Member

When applying for a copy editor or editor position, what kind of clips do you send? Do you send stories you've written, should you save terrible stories you've edited and then also send the edited version? Should you send pages you layed out? Any ideas what the higher-ups are looking for in this scenario?

2. The Commish

The Commish Guest

All the above, plus some that show good headline writing. Label what is what. If you can provide all of that, then you give folks a good broad range of what you can do.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Some want before-and-after editing samples, but no place I've worked or even applied to. Layout samples, yes. But for editing, usually it's tests, tryouts and critiques.

4. Scribe4264

Scribe4264 Member

Yeah, how many out there save the before-edited copy anyway? I'm serious, does anyone out there actually save the rough draft versions as well as the edited stuff?

5. EE94

EE94 Guest

Not is you spell "laid" layed

;)

6. GoDeacs

GoDeacs New Member

I save everything. Everything.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread or anything (well, maybe just a little), but for all you copy editors out there: Have you ever had to do so much work on a story to make it make sense that you actually added your name to the byline? If so, how often?

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Yes.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

Getting to the test/on-site interview is the bottom line for an editing job, so take more time on a solid cover letter and perfect resume. If they want to see you edit, they will give you stories to edit.

9. The Commish

The Commish Guest

I save something that I've massively reworked. Consider it the reward for a good job for which no one will thank you.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Sometimes I save the original versions simply because they are so awful.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Sometimes I save the original versions simply because they are so awful.

If I do a lot of reworking, then I sometimes send an e-mail to a relevant person about the time spent. No one will appreciate the work, but I will let them know it was done.

Draft saved Draft deleted