1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cops corner guy after chase, then proceed to beat the crap out of him

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, May 11, 2016.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good post, Neutral.

I think most of us have been asshole teenagers. However, no way I would have told my parents that I was being a punk and some guy smacked me.

Iron_chet likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

He must have run straight home to mama with a big red palm print on his cheek. The guy slapped hell out of him.

Between how his mother talked and how he reacted, it may have been the first time he ever got popped for being bad.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Was his name Johnny Football?

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Seems like your son actually learned several valuable lessons out of the whole thing. Don't pick on people, don't lay your hands on other people's kids, don't trust the police implicitly, don't expect people to be rational in defending their kids. Maybe more. He'll probably remember that scene for the rest of his life.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Plus, don't piss off Mama!

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

He was seven. Mostly he learned that the big mean guy who slapped shit out of the kids was the police, and that they are scary.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It's possible to have no sympathy for the piece of shit and know that the cops are a 100% wrong.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

And that fishing is something boring to do while you wait for something exciting to break the monotony.

justgladtobehere and dixiehack like this.
  9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Interesting story and not sure where I land on it to be honest.

When I was a kid you didn't mouth off to adults or teenagers or you'd get your ass kicked. When I was 19 I was walking into 7-11 and a 13 year old boy and his friend were walking out and we bumped into each other.

Before I could say anything one of the little assholes says "watch it motherfucker". Jawing back and forth ensues and I end up giving the instigator a face wash in the snow while laughing at him.

Not to turn this into the great cities to get your ass kicked thread but the little punk had it coming.

I know adults shouldn't lay hands on kids but it's a far cry from a smack upside the head for mouthing off to a full beat down.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You and @Mr. Sunshine both seem to have missed the point, that while this guy broke the law, enabling officers to violate the civil rights of criminals makes it more likely they will violate the civil rights of law abiding citizens, such as yourself, who may get pulled over on lesser (even minor) infractions.

I think it's sickening that anyone would defend these cops who beat a suspect who had surrendered. There's a reason we have laws that protect all us, and there's a reason everyone is presumed innocent until proven guilty. And if you think it's only criminals who get subjected to behavior such as this, you aren't paying attention.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Police should do this more often. If they're pissed at a guy, just beat him into oblivion. They really shouldn't need any other reason.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I asked this earlier, but it was noted that the guy was surrendering and not putting up a fight.
    Is it possible that the police thought maybe he was faking it to get them to let their guard down so he could attack them?
    Do suspects actually do that sometimes and is there something that the police watch out for that shows whether or not the guy is actually surrendering?

By the way, my youngest brother lives in the town where he was apprehended.

Draft saved Draft deleted