1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cops beat in State College, Pa.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Stitch, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Not sports, but I've heard somewhere you could be covering a lot of issues involving Penn State here.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1220267

Company: Centre Daily Times
    Position:police, Courts and More
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000
    Ad Expires: December 27, 2011

Description:

Report for the newspaper named best in its class 14 years in a row in Pennsylvania. The Centre Daily Times located in State College, PA, home of Penn State University, is seeking a reporter who can handle it all. You'll have a chance to do a little of everything, with an emphasis on courts and cops and local government coverage. We are looking for someone who excels at developing sources and working a beat, who produces work with accuracy and attention to detail, and is always looking for the big-picture story that's hiding in the minutiae of daily routine.

A Bachelor's degree in journalism is required; experience at a daily newspaper is preferred. The successful candidate will report and write for both the newspaper and its Web site, CentreDaily.com. Experience with multi-media tools -- the ability to shoot video, record sound, take photos -- is a plus.

As part of The McClatchy Company, the CDT offers a full range of benefits for employees including health, dental, vision, life insurance, vacation time and more.

Interested applicants should mail a cover letter, resume and non-returnable clips no later than December 2, 2011 to the Centre Daily Times, 3400 East College Avenue, State College, PA 16801 or email Teresa Bonner at tbonner@centredaily.com

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

They already fired the people who let them get their asses beat by Harrisburg on this Sandusky thing?

J/K. Sort of.

rb

3. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

I'm sure they'll bring in a real superstar with that salary. ::)

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's a relatively cheap area to live, and I doubt they're looking for a superstar. Then again, Sara Ganim probably made that much when she was working at the Daily Times out of college, so...

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't think house organs like to get involved with scandal. The bigwigs at the paper are likely too close to people on campus. One of the worst things any paper does do is hire reporters from the nearby college, especially if they have to cover the college.

6. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Good point. But that's McDonald's money.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

$25,000 to cover one of the biggest stories in college sports history.

I guess you'll get your clips, and the paper will make a lot of money off you.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I vote we avoid terms like "house organ" when talking about doings in State College.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Who said you'll get to cover one of the biggest stories in college sports? They may (and should) already have someone on that. This may be for a replacement for the person who is now on Sandusky duty, though I really don't know for sure. Either way, the paper will not "make a lot of money off you." That implies the paper will make a lot of money.

And, Stitch, the Daily Times hired Ganim from Penn State either right out of college or while she was still in college.

And +1 Steak Snabler.

Draft saved Draft deleted