1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cop tazes [great] grandmother, 72

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jun 10, 2009.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A taser shouldn't be an equal-treatment thing. You are different than a 72-year-old woman. They carry the tasers to subdue people who may pose a threat without having to put themselves at risk or draw a gun. If you--as in Moddy--are acting belligerent, and won't comply with instructions, you pose much more of a threat than that woman looked to be. He showed no judgment. A taser can actually kill someone. There are dozens of those cases every year -- they fall wrong and sustain a head injury or have an existing heart condition or some other thing like that. Those kinds of circumstances are more likely to be occur with an older woman, I would guess. Honestly, you don't think he could have had the cuffs on her relatively easily and lifted her off the ground and carried her to the back seat of the car, without tasing her? She was an older woman, who obviously wasn't a threat, other than the fact that she was arguing with him. She shouldn't be treated like you--a younger, stronger man--if his only goal was to subdue her or get her to comply.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

As much as a pain in the ass as grandma was, there was no justification in tasering her.

Part of being a cop is calming the situation down. This dumbass should have his badge taken away and sent to mall security school.

This crap happens all the time. Some cop is too lazy or too stupid to use his/ her brain and takes the easy way out.

Twenty people have died in Canada after being tasered but of course the manufacturer and the cops they have in their pockets, deny that tasering was the cause of death.

Tell that to Robert Dziekański the guy the Mounties killed in the Vancouver airport.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So what if he tries to cuff her - which by all rights would have been appropriate - and she slips loose - which also isn't out of the realm of possibility given her actions - and gets hit by a car?

He's going to catch hell either way but at least this way she's still alive.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

He puts her up against the truck or on the ground and she's not going anywhere.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Cop looked to have about 150 pounds and about foot and half on her.
    If he couldn't physically control a woman that small, at his size, he doesn't need to be a cop.
    I was also curious that his title was deputy constable. I didn't know that constables anywhere had patrol duties or enforced traffic laws.
    Most constables are like court officers or kind of a glorified reserve officer.
    Is that not true in Texas?

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

All of the following are true:

1) Tazers are used way too often when they should be an absolute last resort, if at all.
    2) The cop probably has other options besides tazing her.
    3) She doesn't get to complain about anything that happened to her, and I hope she gets jail time for acting that way to a cop.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Not true in my experience. (Not admitting that I've ever gotten a ticket or been pulled over by one, you understand. ;) )

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I've never been pulled over by a constable.

I've lost a few in chases though. :))

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Texas has weird names for law enforcement types (including the Texas Rangers).

I think constables are like sheriffs in some Texas counties.

10. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Granny seems like a real bitch.

11. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I honestly don't know exactly how it works. (Yes, I should, but I don't.) I do know that we have city officers (jurisdiction only within the city limits,) the county Sheriff (jurisdiction only within the non-city limits of said county) and the Constables, who I believe have jurisdiction pretty much anywhere and the only ones to have jurisdiction in gray areas (like the toll roads.)

I do know that when getting pulled over, the first thing one does is look to see if it's the city, county or constable. If it's the constable, one's head falls to the stering wheel followed by an "Oh, fuck." At least, that's what I've been told. ;)

On topic, though, I agree with RickStain's three true points.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Saw this on Good Morning America this morning. The cop was in the right. She was biligerent and provoking him.
    She's the one who first posed a threat to herself and to him by getting out of the car.
    She refused to obey orders and repeatedly tired to get past him when he was keeping her behind the car for her own safety so she didn't get hit by a car.
    He tased her as a last resort because of how she was behaving.
    If she felt she was in the right, why did she suddenly shut up about this when the video surfaced?

On GMA they talked to the cop's supervisor who said the cop acted properly and that if it had been his mother acting that way he would have tased her.
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=7799290&page=1

Draft saved Draft deleted