1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cop slips, sues family of brain-damaged boy who nearly drowned

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Oct 10, 2007.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I thought the American way of our police force was to serve and protect. And if you are injured in the line of duty you are taken care of by the department, city, whatever. Yeah, maybe that money ain't enough, but you sure as fuck don't turn around sue those who you were trying to serve and protect. Especially ones who had their entire lives turned upside down forever while you were on the couch for two months watching Bob Barker with your hurt knee.

And I hope the lawyer does an extra 600 years in hell (on top of his normal allocation for being this kind of lawyer) for this sentence: "If the Cosmillos had made their pool baby-proof, police would not have been called to the scene, there would have been no water on the floor, and Eichhorn would not have hurt herself, he said."

So the police are to not serve and protect those who didn't take precautions themselves? STFU! Next up, police will not help smokers in car accidents because they were going to die anyway from smoking.

Argh. I'm going to go scream.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Just when I thought it wasn't possible to have any less respect for cops...

3. Fred, you knew the job was dangerous when you took it.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Maybe she needs the money for a boob job.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I will not pull a boots here and stick up for the cop 100 percent, but I will put a lot of the onus for this on the lawyer. He made inflammatory comments in a case he already knows is a PR loser. Should they elect a jury trial (which they wouldn't, they're not that stupid), the plaintiffs would not have a Hail Mary's chance of winning. The lawyer must be fresh out of school and be wanting to make a name for himself ... otherwise, any good personal injury lawyer would tell his client in this case that there is no chance of success.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Endlessly discussing butt-fucking your neighbor on an internet message board?

7. Perhaps, just perhaps, the facts of the case might lead some to different conclusions. Without looking at testimony, on the surface this is a complete joke. But then there's this: "If the Cosmillos had made their pool baby-proof, police would not have been called to the scene, there would have been no water on the floor, and Eichhorn would not have hurt herself, he said."

While the argument is sound, it's a huge stretch and if the fireman wanted no compensation, then I'd assume there was more to it.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It was a cop, not a fireman.

But keep getting your facts wrong.

Just like you tried to get people to call editors who said in their job ads DO NOT CALL.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

This lawsuit makes those ones filed by the inmate against all the celebrities and pro athletes seem less insane.

10. Simple mistake...thanks for the correction.
    Thanks for the correction. If I thought you had any game, I'd respond. As it stands, I'm not biting.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

But, is she back to work and she was collecting disability, no?
    If it's against the insurance company why is the scumbag lawyer ripping the family?

And I see the cop was a prostitution decoy.
    Guess she won't have to worry about getting on her knees anymore.

12. The insurance won't pay because the family didn't have the pool childproofed. I'm all for suing the insurance companies, a worthless profession and drain on society.

Draft saved Draft deleted